Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Multiple Names

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 10 Feb 2010 19:29

A couple of my ancestors cannot seem to decide what their names are which makes it interesting trying to research them. One of my ancestors was called Henry and he had no middle name but he likes to use Harry(understandable) and John Henry? my second was called James and again no middle name and he likes using John.

Anyone else encountered ancestors who like to constantly change their names?

Tawny

Andrew

Andrew Report 10 Feb 2010 19:59

Happens all the time. You can get Henry/Harry, John/Jack, Ellen/Helen etc.
Another favourite is to reverse names or to use middle names especially when a child was named after a parent. It might have avoided confusion in the household at the time, but it plays merry hell when trying to find people in the census record a century later. And don't forget using shortened versions of names, Thomas/Tom William/Willie etc......

...and thats before mis-spelled and mistranscribed records of course..
Andy

Tawny

Tawny Report 10 Feb 2010 20:13

Thank you for replying. Henry used John Henry when he married, Harry on his sons birth cert and Henry on the census. However i'm sure i will track all the records for him now I know the different possibilities he might use.

Tawny

Julia

Julia Report 10 Feb 2010 20:32

Hi I had an uncle (sadly never met him as he had passed away before I arrived) that was referred to as Frank but his name was Bernard Francis so the Francis became Frank, it wasn't until I started my tree I even realised his name was something other than Frank

Angela

Angela Report 10 Feb 2010 20:36

I had a great uncle called Jack but his real name was John. Further up my tree I have a Henry William who also called himself John!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Feb 2010 20:53

I have one registered as Silvey.
She was baptised Jane Sylvia, then went through much of the rest of her life as Jane.

Gwyn

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 10 Feb 2010 21:02

My husband's great grandma was Annie Eliza or Annie or Anne or Eliza, depending on what mood she was in!

My grandma was named Isabella May but that was a bit fancy for an orphan child, perhaps, so she was known (and married and died) as May Isabel.

Mum was Doris, known as Doll or Dolly. Even the budgie used to say 'Hello Dolly, give us a kiss!'

Birdi