Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

No name on Births Record?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Adam

Adam Report 11 Feb 2010 06:11

Can anyone advise me, if a birth record just says male or female rather than a name does this mean the child passed away before they could be named or could it be that the parents haven't decided on a name by the time the child is registered? Thanks for any help, I am new to this.

Debbie

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 11 Feb 2010 06:40

It doesn't necessarily mean that the child died. My gt-gt-grandmother is not named on her birth cert, yet she lived to 50. I know it's the right birth cert as I also have her baptism entry, which has the same date of birth, address and parents names as the cert. So I can only assume that they hadn't thought of a name by the time she was registered (which was 18 days after her birth), but had by the time she was baptised, 4 months later!

If you look on the birth certificate form, you will see that the name column is actually headed "Name, if any" - implying that it was quite acceptable to register a child without stating its name.

Adam

Adam Report 12 Feb 2010 06:56

thank you so much for assistance, on further inspection though, I don't think the un-named one is the birth cerificate I was searching for, never the less, it will help me for the future. Thanks again.

Debbie