Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ref - Locate a Relatives Grave

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 13 Feb 2010 12:23

I am looking for the grave of my G Grandfather.
I have a death certificate and I know when and where he died but how do I go about locating were his grave is?
And would this info be consistent with all graves that I would like to find?

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 13 Feb 2010 12:35

Which area does it cover? Some people have indexed or photographed graves and you may be lucky that they've published them online.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Feb 2010 15:27

I have had success in locating graves by contacting the Cemetery and Parks Dept of the local Council and giving them the info from a death cert. BUT although many have been supplied FOC the Councils have now realised they can make some dosh out of it and do now make a charge, Have seen some have paid £25 which seems a bit excessive to me

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 14 Feb 2010 15:21

There is the possiblity he may have been buried in the local churchyard. You could google to find out the parish church of the area and maybe contact them....just a thought. Cx.

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 14 Feb 2010 15:43

Nottingham city Council charge £30-00, again i had all the details, seems they are all jumping on the cash cow

George

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 14 Feb 2010 15:50

went to the local crem in Hull. they were really good, looked it up on the computer,took seconds, then wrote it on a memorial card and even took us to the plot, no headstone. Now thats what i call service and no charge, seems to me they are charging far too much.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 14 Feb 2010 18:28

Glad I got all my requests in before they twigged. I have had sterling help for absolutely no charge from two council cemeteries - I sent a donation to the local hospice, I was so pleased. One is definitely still not charging anything - I got details of 8 graves only last week. The other still charges nothing if you visit their offices and look yourself.

I think much depends on how automated their systems are - obviously a trawl through hand-written books is going to take longer than a quick check on the computer (though I have found mistakes on their computers!). The idea of paying £45 or even £5 to locate a single grave for a great grandparent when you have virtually the exact date is totally insensitive.

Give them a whirl, and let us know how you go on.

Joy

Joy Report 14 Feb 2010 23:08

The Bereavement Services Department in Portsmouth and Bournemouth have "gone the extra mile" free of charge, by sending a photo of where the grave would be and by sending a photograph of the books of remembrance that have the entries for my parents; also, Lambeth and Lewisham staff, free of charge, have been of tremendous help searching for my family.