Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

workhouse records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 17 Feb 2010 11:05

Could anyone tell me please which sub I would need to check out the workhouse records on ancestry, mine has lapsed at the mo (have FMP with 1911) and am trying to trace my husbands grandmother.

Florence Radbourne born 1905 at 129 St Johns Road Islington to Sarah jane Radbourne (no father) which I have just discovered was the address used for workhouse births, Sarah gave this as her address on the registration. I have trawled through the 1911 for hours searching for her but can find no trace of her anywhere! She was raised in Watlington Norfolk by an "aunt" but we know nothing of her before that. I would like to check for hers and her mothers leaving records to try to find out how she ended up in Norfolk and what happened to her mother.

Any help much appreciated as I had pinned my hopes on the 1911 and after waiting for 3 years can't find a thing.
thanks Jak

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Feb 2010 11:21

This is where the records that survive for the Islington Workhouse are kept:-

London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB.

The surviving records include:-

General records — Guardians' minutes (1867-1930); Committee minutes (1874-1930); etc.
Parish Workhouse — Admissions and discharges (1840-72); Births (1839-67); Deaths (1839-67); etc.
St John's Workhouse — Admissions and discharges (1866-1931); Creed registers (1869-1930); Births (1867-85, 1891-1933); Deaths (1867-1933); etc.

I think you would need to either visit yourself or get someone else to visit for you to get copies of what you want.

Kath. x

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 17 Feb 2010 11:27

Thanks for that Kath - will have to try to get there sometime this year as this is driving me nuts! Was hoping the records on ancestry would be of help but only discovered them after my membership expired as I only discovered the address was the workhouse this week. Still at least I know have a lead.

Thanks again
Jak

Kelly

Kelly Report 17 Feb 2010 16:10

Hi Jak,

I can't help with the records side of your question but thought theses websites about Islington workshouse might be of some interest to you.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,209183.0.html
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Islington/Islington.shtml

Regards
Kelly

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 17 Feb 2010 18:20

Hi Kelly

Thanks for that will check them out - I think one was where I discovered that the address on the cert was the workhouse - not actually looking for a rellie just interested in the history, its funny what you find when you're not even looking!

Will check them both out again though.

Jak

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Feb 2010 18:40

Have you found Sarah Jane in 1901...?
...so we can see her details.

EDIT
Is this her....?

Name: Sarah J Radbourn
Estimated birth year: abt 1865
Relation: Servant
Where born: Lechhampstead, Berkshire, England

Civil parish: Clerkenwell
Ecclesiastical parish: St Mark
County/Island: London

Street Address:

Registration district: Holborn
Sub-registration district: Amwell
ED, institution, or vessel: 11
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 183
Household Members: Name Age
Charles Ivory 80
Tryphena Ivory 76
Tryphena Ivory 40
Alfred J Ivory 31
Sarah J Radbourn 36

Gwyn

RobG

RobG Report 17 Feb 2010 20:27

Jak

Is this the Florence Radbourne registered June Qtr 1905, rather than 04, as I can't see another one suitable if so, she is shown in the Register of Children in the Workhouse 25th April 1905 (presumably when she was born). She was CofE and was discharged 27/7/05 c'o Mother and "Removed to Holborn". She was registered at St.Stephens Islington on 10/5/1905 mother Jane, a servant, and no father.
There is some other stuff there which I can't read, and there are some other Rabournes which may be related, so worth checking out.
Hope this helps.

Rob

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 18 Feb 2010 10:58

Hi Gwen & Rob

Sorry I didn't get back to you last night - had a puter problem (one of those virus things that wants you to download a fix - worked out it was a scam but ran a load of virus checkers just in case which took forever!).

Gwen

I think this must be her but as granny had no siblings and no father I only have the info from the cert which stated no father and the address of 129 St Johns Road Islington as the place of birth and living address for Sarah. She does give an address of work which from memory is 67 Selby Road Islington which I can not find on the 1911 either so not sure if she was telling the truth or not.

Rob
Thank you so much for the info - yes I made a typo it should say 1905 - will correct my post above - at least I know she left Islington with her mother but I can't seem to find a death or marriage for Sarah which fits - just had a thought that maybe I should try to trace the Lechampsted family in 1911 to see if she may be mistranscribed with them.

Thank you both so much for replying - will follow these up tonight (am at work at the mo so best get to it)
Jak

Joy

Joy Report 18 Feb 2010 11:12

Always worth exploring -

http://workhouses.org.uk/

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 18 Feb 2010 13:50

Thanks Joy, it was this site which made me realise that grannie was born in the workhouse when I was just looking out of general interest and discovered the address was the same. A great site with loads of info.

Jak