Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1911 Census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

jemimaellen

jemimaellen Report 19 Feb 2010 22:03

Why is it that if Findmypast say's that they have a complete 1911 Census that i cannot find a lot of mine, Am i dooing something wrong , Seems i must be or all of my Ancestors had died by 1911 anyone else with this problem

CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom Report 19 Feb 2010 22:05

Who are you looking for? Would you like me to have a look and see if I can find them?

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 19 Feb 2010 22:09

I always use the official site first for my search as the search engine is better and then use Findmypast to view as I have a subscription.

Chris

CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom Report 19 Feb 2010 22:11

Have nudged up Jonesey's thread on searching the official 1911 census - some brilliant tips there,

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 20 Feb 2010 00:55

I have had trouble finding one of my families, seems he had the bright Idea of double barrelling his family name......only found it by searching(luckily) for a grandchild (different name)that happened to be staying with them at census time!

Bob

Carter

Carter Report 20 Feb 2010 07:23

nudge for later as off to work now but jonesey tip looks very helpful

tricia

tricia Report 20 Feb 2010 12:20

n

MayBlossomEmpressofSpring

MayBlossomEmpressofSpring Report 20 Feb 2010 15:47

nudging for future reference.

lulibell

lulibell Report 20 Feb 2010 21:25

These tips worked a treat.
I've made a copy for future reference.
Particularly useful for visitors or ancestors whose names have been misrecorded. (Gt gran Rosanna has been recorded Rose Anna, Rose Hannah or transcribed as Rosa) I could find Gladys on 1911 census and it had been recorded as Glady.
Wonderful instructions ,thanks

jemimaellen

jemimaellen Report 22 Feb 2010 21:32

Thank you to everyone who has answered i will try all the tips and look again to Ninjalady I am looking for Sarah Gregory Born in 1841 Sarah died in 1912 at 4 back 4 Rosbury st Birmingham but i have been unable to find her on the 1911 maybe a fresh pair of eyes can help thank you once again thank you to all who has taken the time to reply

jemimaellen

jemimaellen Report 23 Feb 2010 08:02

Thank you Jonesey
No this is not her either, And i cannot see a Mrs M Gregory . But again thank you i will just have to keep looking .

jemimaellen

jemimaellen Report 23 Feb 2010 08:12

Hi Jonesey
Found Mrs Gregory on the 1911 and this is her as she is a Pen worker on her Death Certificate , And as soon as i saw Camden St i knew it was her as My Father was born and bred in Camden St Many thanks once again

Jooleh

Jooleh Report 23 Feb 2010 23:54

Further to Jonesey's useful tips - using the Find My Past site you can do the advanced search for others living in the household without doing a wildcard search- just leave the first fields blank. The only fields you need to complete are registration district and other person in household. This works for other census' too not just the 1911.

But do beware, as Jonesey said, it's best to search on an unusualish name or you could end up with multiple households appearing together.

Julie

jemimaellen

jemimaellen Report 24 Feb 2010 16:31

Thanks Julie
Will try that as well. I'm sure i can find more now on the 1911 thank you everyone

PomPom

PomPom Report 27 Feb 2010 20:05

nuddge for later

Christine

Christine Report 28 Feb 2010 21:52

Poor transcription accounts for a lot of failures, I think. Had searched for one of mine, christian name, Samson but it had been transcribed as Sameon and the variable spelling option had not picked him up. Was found for me by a kind person on here!

jemimaellen

jemimaellen Report 1 Mar 2010 15:27

Hi Christine , Yes i have found that as well on other Census's. On one census i have a Family called Styles and it was Transcribed as Hydes , The only way i found them was to search on forenames only .