Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice on free look ups on 1911 census please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanie

Joanie Report 21 Feb 2010 00:20

Hi Folks

I am trying to find who else lived in household , can i do this free i have the ladies details but want to see names of her parents and siblings....is there a formula for this ?

Ciao Joanie

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Feb 2010 00:34

Hi Joanie

Go to the 1911 site itself

............... fmpbsol.1911census.co.uk/

click on Full Person Search

Click on Show advanced fields

Enter your ladies name, birth year +/- 5

birth county if you know it.

Click on search

If you think one or other of the names might be mispelled, enter the first part of the name(s), and click on Names starting with

When you find your lady, make a not of how the runame is spelled and of the county and town of location

Click on Search Again

Remove christian names and leave blank

Leave surname

Remove birth year and place

Click on the County in Location

Click on the town in District

Enter your lady's christian names in Other Members of the Household

Clcik Search

If you are lucky, then only one household will be shown, if not then you will ahve to attmept to narrow the search until you do get what might be your family.

sylvia

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Feb 2010 00:36

Yes!

When you have found the person, return to the search page. Specify same surname and area and the name of the person you have found in the box marked "other members of the household".

You can specify relationship to the head - son, daughter etc - but sometimes this doesn't work as they are staying with relatives!

People seem much more relaxed about doing 1911 lookups now so don't be afraid to ask.

jan

Joanie

Joanie Report 21 Feb 2010 00:40

Thank you for ur help, I will try to do it myself I do not know anything about her parents or siblings just her full name birth year and town and if by this time tomorrow if i havent mastered it I will ask for help.....Ciao Joanie

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Feb 2010 00:46

see also this thread

www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1205774

especailly the posting by Jonesey

Jonesey also has a thread on the topic.

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Feb 2010 00:56

Jan

I htink the reason people are more relaxed is because they now have a subscription, rather than the very expensive credits that were all that were possible at the beginning.

A sub that allows you to do something like 5000 searches a month is far different from paying £6.95 for 60 credits, when you need 40 to look at both the transcript and census image!

People may be a little careful about how many searches they are doing becasue findmypast has said it will crack down on those doing too many searches .......... they seem to assume that this equates professionals at work.

Mind you .... most of the people who have taken out subs to the 1911 through findmypast are finding that the search engine is not very good. They are actually using the 1911 census itself to do a free search (the web site that I posted above) to search for people, then going back to findmypast to look at the details.

I just don't need to do all that many searches for my families, at least at the moment ...... and am quite content to continue on the 1911 site, and pay for credits as and when I need them for my own work. I started off with 300 credits when the 1911 site was first available, and maaged to find practically everyone I was then looking for. Now, £24.95 buys 280 credits, which are good for a year ..... and that would be ample for me if I need to look for anyone else who appears out of the woodwork.

sylvia

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Feb 2010 00:58

Just want to say how good it is to see someone who wants to "have a go". It's so much more enjoyable than having everything done for you. Good on ya!
jan

Joanie

Joanie Report 21 Feb 2010 11:05

Thanks Folks..and yes i managed to do it !!!

It might have been a bit easier as their were not many with the name i was looking for, but i can now look for others and when i get right one's pay for a block of credits ....may still need help but will always try this first.....best wishes to every one ....Ciao Joanie