Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry Tree?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley

Shirley Report 21 Feb 2010 14:44

Hi, could anybody tell me if it is possible to print a whole family tree on ancestry.. I seem to be only to get a 'shot' of certain parts of it but would love a better understanding by printing all.
many thanks
shirley bird

zemartini

zemartini Report 22 Feb 2010 23:19

Hi Shirley, the answer as far as I know is no, ancestry only allows you to print part of it.

As a tip, you could use the export a gedcom file option and then import the tree into another site or program which will. GR's print tree option is quite good for a basic understanding, but it does not print much in the way of details. Failing that there are one or two commercial companies which can print the tree for a fee.

Shirley

Shirley Report 23 Feb 2010 15:10

Simon,
thanks very much for your reply i will look into it.
shirley

Christine

Christine Report 23 Feb 2010 22:38

I would have thought that GR could offer, as a spin-off service, to print your whole tree onto a poster and send it to you. It would obviously only work on the smaller trees - those with 30,000 relatives need not apply!

Cathy

Cathy Report 24 Feb 2010 09:30

You can get this an Ancestry if you click on Publish it will take you there.
They also do books and calendars but it's in dollars from 14.95
Has anyone ever tried it ?

Family History Poster Details
•Display three to nine generations of lineage.
•Choose a layout: Descendant Tree, Standard Format or Combination.
•Choose size: 16 x 20", 18 x 24", or 24 x 36".
•Auto-fill your poster online with Ancestry.com records.
•Add photos, edit text, change backgrounds and more.
•Frame-ready posters are printed on photographic, archival-quality paper.

Cathy

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 24 Feb 2010 10:34

A program such as Family Tree Maker will do this for you. The latest (2010 version) has a selection of:-

10 Charts
4 Genealogy Reports
7 Individual Reports
5 Relationship Reports
9 Other Miscellaneous Reports

All are customiseable from the point of view of appearance and data content. Charts, for example can be printed in book format or in poster format, Pictures can be included also.

There is also the option to create a Genealogy book made from charts reports and other documents.

Christine

Christine Report 24 Feb 2010 10:55

I had looked at this on FTM 2010, but the charts only show direct ancestors. What I like about the GR tree is that it also shows siblings in a very clear way, and their descendants.

I recently printed off just a section of my GR tree - had to stick several pages together - for my grandson, so that he could see his relationship to other family members as well as his direct line back. Our family, like many others today, has been disjointed by divorce over the years, and it's difficult for children to make sense of relationships with half-uncles, step-cousins etc! I haven't found anywhere else that shows this aspect as clearly.