Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help me find my grandad!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 23 Feb 2010 20:32

Hello everyone. Can anyone find my grandad on the 1911 census please? I have tried and tried, but to no avail. His name is John Mannion, and in1910 married Catherine Devane, widow. I have found Catherine and 3 of her children, visiting the home of Mark O'Brien at 33 Chandos St, Earlestown, Warrington. But no sign of John. He was a coal miner, aged about 31-35? but I'm not certain where he was born. Thank you, Christine.

X Lairy- Fairy

X Lairy- Fairy Report 23 Feb 2010 23:23

have you found him on the 1901 census ?

mgnv

mgnv Report 23 Feb 2010 23:59

Well, there's miners and then there's miners

Occupation COLLIER
INSTITUTION MANNION JOHN M 1872 39 Warrington Lancashire
HOUSEHOLD MANNION JOHN M 1855 56 Bolton Lancashire
HOUSEHOLD MANNION JOHN M 1888 23 Doncaster Yorkshire West Riding

Occupation HEWER
HOUSEHOLD MANION JOHN M 1863 48 Doncaster Yorkshire West Riding
HOUSEHOLD MANION JOHN THOMAS M 1880 31 Alnwick Northumberland
HOUSEHOLD MANNION JOHN M 1867 44 Foleshill Warwickshire
HOUSEHOLD MANNION JOHN M 1888 23 Chesterfield Derbyshire
HOUSEHOLD MANNION JOHN M 1868 43 Wigan Lancashire
HOUSEHOLD MANNION JOHN M 1876 35 Warrington Lancashire
INSTITUTION MANNION JOHN M 1872 39 Warrington Lancashire
HOUSEHOLD MANNION JOHN M 1869 42 Sheffield Yorkshire West Riding
HOUSEHOLD MANNION JOHN M 1879 32 Sheffield Yorkshire West Riding

EDIT just added John a=32 in Sheffield - I stuffed up on copy & paste - sorry

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 24 Feb 2010 03:08

In other censuses I've noticed miners missing. I assume because they were working the night shift on census night and the mines didn't report it.

Rose

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 24 Feb 2010 03:26

In 1901 there were 29 John Mannions born in the 1870's living in the UK. 2 of them lived in Warrington, 1 born in Ireland, the other born in Warrington. I have a feeling mgnv has found the man in an institution, but I think we need Christine to tell us a bit more to be sure which John Mannion we are looking for. Or am I missing something?

Duncan

Aveyronnaise

Aveyronnaise Report 24 Feb 2010 11:08

Collier hewer John Mannion 1872 Warrington states he is single. He may of course be telling porkies!
John Mannion 1876 Warrington is married but is with wife and children.

Christine

Christine Report 24 Feb 2010 12:45

Thank you to all of those people who replied to my call for help. The John Mannion's born 1872 and 1876 look promising. The only guide to his age that I have is he states his age as 30 on his marriage cert., and as I have found out, you can never be really sure as to date of birth! He married in Newton-le-Willows, Warrington, and the next time I can place him anywhere is in 1914 in Rotherham, Yorks, when my father was born. My dad never knew him, and was only told that he died during the first war--whether serving in it or not ,Idon't know.

Christine.

Christine

Christine Report 24 Feb 2010 13:00

Sorry, Rosie Posie, I didn't answer your question.
I found quite a few John Mannions on the 1901 census, but couldn't think of how to distinguish which one was the right one. I was always told that he came from Ireland, but who knows?

Christine.

Aveyronnaise

Aveyronnaise Report 24 Feb 2010 17:19

In that case the one for Mexborough that I posted last night doesn't look quite so wild! I had deleted it but will repost it:

BAILEY, Harry Head Married M 57 1854 Labourer Slack Hills VIEW
BAILEY, Sarah Elizabeth Wife Married
24 years F 46 1865 Yorks Rotherham VIEW
FOSTER, Benjamian Lodger Single M 39 1872 Labourer Yorks Northampton VIEW
MANNION, Maggie Lodger Single F 38 1873 Domestic Yorks Normanton VIEW
MANNION, John Lodger Single M 35 1876 Miner Ireland VIEW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address:
3 Althron's Row Mexboro Rotherham
County:
Yorkshire (West riding)

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 24 Feb 2010 18:26

Can you list his father and occupation from the marriage cert? Also the witnesses.

Rose

Christine

Christine Report 24 Feb 2010 19:03

Thank you Aveyronnaise, the one in Mexborough looks really promising. It would explain why he wasn't with Catherine, and why I couldn't locate him in the warrington area.

On their marriage cert., his father is also called John, a farmer.
The witnesses are Patrick Gavin and Mary Jane Anderson.

Christine.