Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

James Moffit b 1820/25

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Neil

Neil Report 24 Feb 2010 19:46

I tried a posting of this on the Tryng to Find Board but got no response, so have swapped it here to see if I can get any help,
I have lost track of my GGGGrandfather in what I think are the last few years of his life. James Moffit was married to Mary --- and they came to England from Ireland in the 1840's, probably as a married couple. They are listed in 1851 and 1861 census' living in Keighley, W.Yorkshire with their children, but in the 1871, Mary is listed with the children as a Widow. The youngesr child at that time is Mary, b Q3, 1862, so I assume that James was alive up to about the end of 1861 in order to father her. Problem is that I have been unable to trace any record of James' death between end 1861 and mid 1871. I know that the surname can be spelled in a number of ways but I think I have covered all the alternatives. I am usually OK at this but I think I may have missed something this time. Any ideas please?

Ivy

Ivy Report 24 Feb 2010 19:59

Perhaps extend your search?

Registration permitted up to six weeks after the birth; and details perhaps forwarded to GRO a little later?

So birth perhaps not 1 Sept but say early July; late birth say 2 wks after due date? This would take you back to say Sep 61. However, I have seen some widows conceive children after the death of the father - so perhaps check the date of the 1861 census and see whether the death could occur and be registered in first quarter 1861?

Further still, if he died away from home, and was just inexplicably absent, the widow may have recorded him at the 1861 census rather than admit the absence?

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 Feb 2010 20:14

I know they're out of area but have you discounted

Deaths Mar 1864 (>99%)

MOFFETT James S Shields 10a 339

Deaths Sep 1867 (>99%)

Moffett James 53 Birmingham 6d 138

Did James have an occupation that might have taken him away from home ?

Ivy

Ivy Report 24 Feb 2010 20:19

- and another possibility, the Keighley death registrations from 1860 to 1862 for James (any surname) include the following:

James Morphet 1860 (Dec qtr)
James Morphett 1862 (Dec qtr)

Neil

Neil Report 24 Feb 2010 23:50

Thanks Ivy and Rambling Rose. You have given me some other ways of looking at this. I have a hectic few days ahead but will let you know if I can make progress.
Thanks again,
Neil

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 25 Feb 2010 15:33

How about this one?

about James Morritt
Name: James Morritt
Year of Registration: 1864
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Skipton
County: Yorkshire - West Riding
Volume: 9a