Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How to find someone born around the 1800's?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 27 Feb 2010 22:07

Can anyone help me I spent time at Faversham trying to find info on Richard Buck 1816, which I did he married a Mary Paterson and found another son Richard William 1833 as well as James1836. I am now wondering how I go about finding his father? I can't go back to Faversham as it's a bit too far, please has anyone any ideas?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Feb 2010 22:20

are you sure of his birth year?

His marriage is on the International Genealogical Index on www.familysearch.org ..... the Mormon site

It shows he married Mary Paterson 18 April 1830 ........ which means he would have only been 14 years old if born in 1816!

To answer you question ............ the I G I on that web site is the place to look.

BUT you have to be very careful that you distinguish between EXTRACTED and SUBMITTED records

EXTRACTED records have been taken from the actual parish register

SUBMITTED records have been sent in by an individual, usaully a memebr of the Mormon (LDS) church, and must be treated with circumspection as they usually do not have any backing documentaiton, and are often inaccurate.. Do not enter such information on your family tree unless and until you can find backing documentation

The above record of his marriage does not have backing documentation

But it is interesting in view of the age.

sylvia

Susan

Susan Report 27 Feb 2010 22:29

Thank you Sylvia, I am not sure of his birth as I couldn't find any details for him at Faversham.

Susan

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Feb 2010 22:30

Hi Susan,
Are these Baptismal records?
If they are, he may have been born some years before he was baptised.
For some reason, one of my ancestors decided to have a 'mass' baptism, with the neigbours children - and the age range was 2 months to 14 years!
In some cases they never 'got round; to baptising sme children, and they were baptised just before they got married.
In some parishes, unbaptised children couldn't marry in a church - and at the time, the church was the only place you could marry!!!
(Talk about a captive clientel!! LOL)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Feb 2010 00:03

Have you found Richard Buck and Mary on any census?

If so, what is the age given for him on a census after 1841?

Ages for adults over the age of 15 were rounded down to the nearest 5 on the 1841 ................. so birth year can be upto 5 years too young.

sylvia

Susan

Susan Report 28 Feb 2010 17:06

Hi Maggie,
Yes they were Baptismal records and some were nearly black!!!
It just shows how things have changed, people able to get married without a baptism etc.

Thank you for your input.
Susan

Susan

Susan Report 28 Feb 2010 17:08

Hi Sylvia

I can't find these two on any census'

Thank you for all your help

Susan