Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Amazing/Suprising Discoveries

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 28 Feb 2010 23:13

Hi all,

I have a thread going on the General Chat area, but I was hoping if I popped the address in here and the Trying To Find Boards, more people might contribute their discoveries.

This is the link: http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1205603

The thread is asking for you to tell what your most amazing or suprising discoveries have been whilst researching your family tree.

It makes for great reading!!

Cheers

Rachelle

LakesLass

LakesLass Report 1 Mar 2010 13:38

Just come across this thread whilst browsing during my lunch hour!
Yes its amazing just what can turn up ...

The 1911 census has shown me that my Grandmother had 5 children and not 4 as believed. The unknown child died before his first birthday - I now have the certificates, though no-one ever talked about him not even my Dads eldest sister or my Nan. Makes me wonder if my Dad ever knew.

Another surprise on the 1911 census was that my widowed Great grandmother (my Mums Nan) moved briefly to Lincolnshire from Croydon, London and was running a boarding house for railway workers. We knew she did run one whilst in London around 1910 and then ran another one over in Breconshire, Wales around 1914-1917 before moving her family back to Tottenham. All the family were surprised when I mentioned this. Even my Mum had no idea of the link with Lincolnshire, and she's the eldest suriving now.

You just never know what you are going to discover. Its fascinating.

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 3 Mar 2010 22:58

nudging this up...

Please reply to the main thread rather than this one...

Makes for very interesting reading....

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 11 Mar 2010 02:54

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 18 Mar 2010 03:06

nudge