Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

UNOFFICIAL ADOPTION

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 3 Mar 2010 23:10

Would anyone be able to help me with this. My mother was never officially adopted by the couple who brought her up and was told her parents died when she was a baby. I have recently discovered she had other siblings. Does anyone know how I would find out what organisation gave my mother to this couple. She was born in Hanwell, London. Any
help would be appreciated. Thanks Mary

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 4 Mar 2010 09:13

Mary, you ask for how to find out about the organisation, but I am wondering if you are trying to find out who her siblings were? If you have your mother's original birth details you might be able to look for their births. A lot will depend on how common the name is obviously.
Jan

Mary

Mary Report 9 Mar 2010 21:45

Thanks

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 9 Mar 2010 22:15

If she was never officially adopted the chances are there was no organisation involved. My husband's "uncle" was never officially adopted by his grandmother, we have never worked out how she came to find him.

If you want to send me a private message with your mum's details, I'll see if I can help at all. Click on my name in the thread, it won't be posted for public viewing.

Margaret

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 9 Mar 2010 22:25

mary,my grandad was also never officially adopted,given away in 1915 his mother being only 17 and unmarried,even though our family know his adopted family, no one can get any info about his birth mother.things were kept secret then and never talked about,even now when i talk to members of my grandfathers family no body knows about his adoption and some dont even realise that he was adopted,its a nightmare trying to sort though the family tree.keep trying,you will get there in the end.xpm me if you want.x

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 11 Mar 2010 02:03

Just to say, I have given Mary a lot of information via PMs as these were all possible living relatives. I think we've found likely siblings. We can't find a death for her mother, but we can find a possible remarriage for her father. We're possibly a bit stuck, but just to let you know I've tried!