Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please, can anyone help me find a prison record?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Samantha

Samantha Report 4 Mar 2010 21:06

Hi all and thank you for reading.

I am trying to find the prison record of a man with an unusual name at least it doesnt bring up many results on ancestry.

He is Basil Harrison b1848 brockenhurst, hampshire.

I have him in census's from 1851 to 1891 and i suspect a death in 1896 although i have not confirmed this with the certificate yet only the index.

in the census's basil has various spellings such as basel, daniel (which clearly reads basil if you are looking for it) bazil and basil.

up to 1861 he is living in and around brockenhurst with his family. then in 1871 he is found in winchester prison. I have no idea what year he went in or anything as i cannot find him anywhere in the ancestry criminal registers

. i have had a quick look on the times online for a newspaper artical but i ran out of time when at kew to dig further than the 3 hits produced.

can anyone help me solve this intriguing quest of mine.

regards and thanks in advance for any advice
sam

''Eastender''

''Eastender'' Report 4 Mar 2010 23:05

Samantha, try looking at the Old Bailey records you may find some thing there.

www.oldbaileyonline.org

Pam

Samantha

Samantha Report 4 Mar 2010 23:21

thanks Pam,

does that website cover the hampshire records or is it mostly london archives. ive done a quick search on their and no basil harrison jumps out straight away but the records seem to be in london rather than anywhere else. will do a more detailed search 2moro.

sam

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 5 Mar 2010 02:32

Hi Sam..

You could try Hampshire Records Office..

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/archives.htm

You can either contact by phone or by email.

Linda