Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newspaper Obituary

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jooleh

Jooleh Report 5 Mar 2010 14:18

Full marks to Blackburn Council Local History Dept (01254 587919).
I have trawled the internet /online newspapers for months looking for an obituary notice that I thought must have existed because when he died this relative was a superintendent with Blackburn Police. Today I 'phoned the above dept and in less than an hour they had found it and e-mailed it to me. It's just full of information and has given me a lead on someone else to search for. I am well pleased!

Julie

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 5 Mar 2010 23:34

Julie....

so good to hear about help given for free from a register/archives/family history office....so many charge extortionate prices for any help, and of course there is no guarentee that they will find whatever it is you`re looking for..

Only wish i had Blackburn relatives now..... !!

Nicky

Jooleh

Jooleh Report 6 Mar 2010 00:13

Hi Nicky

I couldn't believe the quick response I got. It was actually the Lancashire Records Office that pointed me in that direction. They also were very helpful on the 'phone and they have lots of records that can be searched for on line. Wish my home county of Yorkshire was as proactive!

I am now tearing my hair out. The obituary (1866) mentioned the attendance of 'Superintendent Green of Garston, brother in law' . Searching for a Green with no first name in 1861/1871 is the proverbial needle in a haystack. I have to look at all the images to find a policeman & I haven't found him yet....................his sister was born in Ireland so I'm assuming he was too. She arrived here in 1852 and I have her in every census after that & her brother doesn't feature hence the reason I don't know his first name.

Oh well - I enjoy a challenge so I'll keep on looking!

Julie

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Mar 2010 05:55

I got a similar fast, and free, result from the Oldham Local Archives office in finding an coroner's report for me. They found the report in less than an hour, and it was in a paper that had only been publsihed for a veyr short time, around the period when the inquest was held.

They then photocopied the 2 pages, and airmailed them to me ..... and wouldn't accept any payment, even for the postage!

sylvia