Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Coat of Arms

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

EAPN

EAPN Report 5 Mar 2010 15:28

I have a family with a coat of arms . Have contacted the College of Arms, they take £250 to investicate . I understand that one gets no copies of the found records it is just a research cost. Does anyone have any experience of having a Coat of Arms done by the college?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 5 Mar 2010 15:41

Can't help from an experience point of view but but I would point out that Coats of arms belong to individuals, not to a family or surname. For any person to have a right to a coat of arms they must either have had it granted to them personally or be descended in the legitimate male line from a person to whom arms were granted or confirmed in the past.

Have you any idea who was granted the Arms in the first instance and can you prove your pedigree?

EAPN

EAPN Report 5 Mar 2010 15:51

I do know who held the arms but which generation of the family who first had it granted I am not sure of, hence the idea to have the College of Arms look at this for me. I only know that John Busbridge of Haremere Hall born about 1585 held the arms according to the Visitation in Sussex which were made in 1530 and 1633 by W Bruce Bannerman. There is also a Visitation from 1662 which must then have been held by another member of the Busbridge family as the above John Busbridge died 1614. I am descended from this family

EAPN

EAPN Report 5 Mar 2010 16:13

I also thought that it was an indivudual that was granted the Arms. Perhaps when it states Visitations of 1530 and 1633 that it is any time between those dates that the arms were granted and so it would be the John Busbridge of Haremere hall I mentioned who had the arms granted. There is a confusion about 6 roses on one coat of arms and 7 roses on another. Perhaps different members of the same family held these. I think that £250 is a bit steep and that why I was interested if someone else had done this.