Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone translate some Irish names. UPDATE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 7 Mar 2010 11:32

I've recently obtained a marrriage certificate of one of my Irish grandfather's sisters and the witnesses names are writtin in Irish!

Would love to know what their names are.

If anyone wants to see the certificate, contact me direct, send me you email and I will send a copy over to you.

Many Thanks.

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 7 Mar 2010 11:43

Hi
are you able to read them and want them translated into english
or are you having a problem making out what they are :)

LesleyB

LesleyB Report 7 Mar 2010 14:05

Teresa - there is a website which has translations of the Irish, but for the life of me I cannot remember the addy - try googling it my luv - sorry but my Irish is very limited as my Mum only taught me a few random words.
Good luck
Lesley x

lulibell

lulibell Report 7 Mar 2010 14:05

Hi Teresa
Try this lots of weblinks for gaelic fore- and surname:
www.lowchensaustralia.com/names/england.htm
(If no gaelic readers on GR, try a school where gaelic taught.)
Sorry I can't help more.
L%))

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 7 Mar 2010 15:38

The grooms name is Michael Joseph McNulty and he has signed his name in Irish
........some thing like "Mical Mac Dy Ubiaiz". So surname obviously translates as Mc Nulty

The Bride is Margaret Pollard.

Witnesses names look like.."S?rpopan Poltapd" and "M. Mc Dy ubiaiz".
Would this be a Pollard name, but what is his or her Christian name?
The other must be M. McNulty

They were married in the RC Church of "Glas Caonog"? No.1 North City, in the union of "at Cliat".. Co. of 'at Cliat', which I take is Dublin...as per ordering the certificate, info from familysearch pilot website.

All other details are written in English.

Maura

Maura Report 7 Mar 2010 17:15

Teresa there's no Y or Z in the irish alphabet, Cliat is Dublin and Glas as far as I know means green

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 7 Mar 2010 18:47

Hi Maura

If there is no Y or Z in the Irish alphabet...then God knows what is actually written then!!!!

Maura

Maura Report 7 Mar 2010 19:08

try this site it might help you

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/irish.htm

this is one spelling of Mcnulty in irish Mac an Ultaigh

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 Mar 2010 20:06

Glas in Welsh is blue - would have thought the same applied in Gaelic - all being Celts

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 7 Mar 2010 21:06

Any volunteers to view the certificate and make out the actual writing?

Irish certificates are bad enough to read when they are all in English..never mind Irish!

Thistledown

Thistledown Report 7 Mar 2010 21:29

Hi Teresa, hopeless with Irish but to me it seems like Michael (old Irish) Glasnevin R.C. Church Baile Aith Cliat (Dublin City).which is in the city itself..
Googled Churches in Glasnevin and one Our Lady of Dolours have an e-mail addy: [email protected]
They hold Vigils in the Irish Language every evening so hopefully they will be able to help you with it if you e-mail them.
Good Luck,
Lily
I googled www.roman catholic church glasnevin.ie and a few came up.

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 8 Apr 2010 20:54

Well I think I have discovered who the Pollard name is after checkin my Pollard Certificates.

Stephen Pollard signed his name "Stiopan Ua Pollard" when he married in 1930, Dublin. His marriage is even listed as "Stiopan Ua Pollard" on the familysearch pilot site.

I've had a copy of his marriage certificate for several years now and never noticed his signature was in Irish/Gaelic!

Just goes to show that it's worth checking through your certificates again and again!

I certainly missed that one!