Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tracing family tree abroad

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Keith

Keith Report 9 Mar 2010 22:10

my mothers side of the family came from Austria and possibly Croatia...How can I start to trace them, any ideas???

Netty

Netty Report 9 Mar 2010 23:46

Hi Keith, i can't really help you i'm afraid, googled & found quite a few interesting sites, this being just one of them, looks very interesting, might help you a little & give you a few ideas.

http://austrianfamilyhistory.org/

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 10 Mar 2010 00:29

you may as well as put details up in case they can be found - give forenames as well as surnames along with relevant dates - you never know, something may be fund

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 10 Mar 2010 01:37

Hi Keith

My wife is Austrian, so I have some experience. Don't get too excited though, I found it to be a nightmare to research. I did get a few results, but I conceded defeat and used an Austrian professional genealogist recently.

Can you post what you know on here? I have dealt with Carinthia and Tirol but probably all the provinces are similar. Before (I think) 1930 we are basically looking at the equivalent of our parish records, so it's a case of contacting local record offices and churches - they're usually traceable online. For Tirol microfilm copies of all the records are held in one archive, this may well apply throughout Austria.

Something else that might be worth a try is to contact other people with the same Surname in Austria now, especially in the right area. They can be traced from the Austrian telephone directory which is online. If you fancy giving it a go I have a draft letter written in German if you'd like a copy - with a translation so you know what you are saying!

Duncan