Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Certs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Adam

Adam Report 14 Mar 2010 09:27

I have found a birth cert I am very interested in from 1944, is there any way to find the parents names without requesting a copy, ie; being able to see a copy on-line? I believe it is my Father's brother, who I did not know existed.

Thanks

Debbie

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Mar 2010 09:38

Sorry, NO!

If you think he was baptised in Church, it is possibly that the Parish Records are in the public domain. The local Library or Archive, might hold them. But it would involve a lot of time searching as it could have happened months or years after the birth.

Adam

Adam Report 14 Mar 2010 09:47

Thanks for the info, not the answer I wanted but at least I know. Thanks for your time.

Debbie

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Mar 2010 09:50

If you did order it, you could always specify the name of the father or mother's maiden name. That way, if there is no connection, they will give you a partial refund.

The only problem is, that you have to be spell the names, the same as on the BC.

Adam

Adam Report 14 Mar 2010 10:10

Thanks, yep i'll do that and request it, it's not so much the money but the time, we are in Australia, so the whole process seems to take forever when you are anxiously awaiting the info! however, that's the way it is. Thanks again

Debbie.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 14 Mar 2010 12:02

Depending on the year, Scotlandspeople shows Scottish birth certificates online. Not recent ones though.

However, i suspect you are referring to English or Welsh certificates.

Good luck in your search :)

Adam

Adam Report 14 Mar 2010 12:15

THANKS,yes it's an English one I am referring to unfortunately! Thanks for your time.

mgnv

mgnv Report 14 Mar 2010 23:19

The GRO index has the mother's maiden name. You can see the image by doing a "view images" at:
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

What you should get to see is something like:
Surname First name(s) Mother District Vol Page
SMITH John Jones Ipswich 4b 1065
in, say, the 1949 December quarter