Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

all saints, langport, somerset

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jan.jan

Jan.jan Report 15 Mar 2010 18:33

Does anybody go searching for headstones in All Saints. Langport, Somerset.
I've several Caines people buried there, so if anybody is looking for theirs and finds any Caines, would they kindly take a photo for me.
I'll gladly pay for costs

Many thanks

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 15 Mar 2010 19:10

Have you tried contacting The Somerset Family History Group, they are very helpful - they have a website
Liz

Jan.jan

Jan.jan Report 16 Mar 2010 19:56

Hi Liz

No I haven't. I'll give them a go
Thanks

Jan

Christine

Christine Report 17 Mar 2010 22:48

Hi Jan-Jan

I also have people at Langport and Huish Episcopi, just down the road. I visited the Huish churchyard last May. Unfortunately, most of the gravestones are made of the local stone and even those from the 1960s and 1970s are badly corroded and covered with lichen, making them almost impossible to read. The older ones are unintelligible! I would assume the same applies to Langport as it is so close.

You would need to know exactly where your ancestor was buried, in advance, to be sure you had the right one. I spoke to the vicar and his clerk and they don't have a plan or records of the churchyard - I think you have to contact the council for that.