Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What does this mean

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deb ( Steel City)

Deb ( Steel City) Report 16 Mar 2010 00:18

I have received a transcription of several ancestors buried in Drumbeg Church cemetary. However, I don't know what the term "Anno Dom" means. Could someone please explain this for me.

I have attached a part of the transcript as follows:

HERE LYETH
THE BODY OF THOMAS
MARTIN MARCHANT
IN BELFAST WHO DEPARTED
THIS LIFE THE 29TH OF OCTOBER
ANNO DOM 1685
AGED 42 YEARS
& ALSO THE BODY OF FLORENCE
STEWART HIS WIFE
DAUGHTER TO JOHN STEWART
OF BALY DRAINE WHO DEPARTED
THIS LIFE THE 27TH OF APRIL
ANNO DOM 1683
AGED 28 YEARS

Many thanks
Deb

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Mar 2010 00:22

It just means "in the year of Our Lord" - so it is just giving you the year of death. It is short for the Latin "Anno Domini".

Kath. x

Deb ( Steel City)

Deb ( Steel City) Report 16 Mar 2010 00:24

ahhhhhhhhh Thanks Kathleen. Much appreciated never seem that term over here in Canada...lol. Although they did use the term relic which really ticks me off...

Take care
Deb

Maureen

Maureen Report 16 Mar 2010 01:19

WOW
How lucky are you to get info like that on Irish Rellies, wish i could find some of mine!!
Maureen

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Mar 2010 11:52

I must admit Jonesey that I thought the same about the word "relic". I too thought it was probably relict as I have seen that inscribed on some of my own family headstones.

Kath. x

Deb ( Steel City)

Deb ( Steel City) Report 16 Mar 2010 14:10

Kathleen & Jonesey...I've seen it spelled both ways over here in some of the records. There were a lot of misspelled words in the earlier records. lol. I'll have to search down some and let you see sometime.

Regards
Deb