Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding father of Richard and William Richmond

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

51year59

51year59 Report 16 Mar 2010 00:29

I really would appreciate some help with finding out the father of Richard and William Richmond born c1710 and 1705 Yorkshire. How do I do this.I tried asking help on finding them but with no luck so if anyone could tell me how I look for them I would be very grateful

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 16 Mar 2010 01:48

Well you need to find Parish records for these. I assume you have searched at the following site

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

You could try local Family History Societies for records,

Otherwise you have to either visit Records Centres in person and look at their Microfilmed records or order the film via a Familysearch centre.

It's a long slog, I am sure.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Mar 2010 03:13

dipper

if you asked for help on GR boards, and had no luck ....... then it is probable that no-one could find them

as Madmeg says, the places to search are parish records.

Possibly look to see if anyone left a will ............. that might contain information

www.familysearch.org is the place that has most records. It is the Mormon site, and one has to be very careful because many of the records on there have been submitted by individuals, usually Mormon church members, and have no backing documentation so there is no way of knowing whether they are accurate or made up!

You could see if there are any Online Parish Clerks records .............. google the name of the town where they were born, and see if you can find a Local Studies and Archives Centre, and see if you can see an online listing of their holdings.

as Madmeg says, contact Family History Societies .... you may have to join, and you may have to pay for research to be done, or to get records from them.

sylvia

51year59

51year59 Report 16 Mar 2010 11:52

Thank you for the advise this is what I needed. Will give this a try.