Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help!!!! Any Tips Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debbie

Debbie Report 16 Mar 2010 14:49

I am just starting my family tree, but do not know exactley what to do as looked up my dads mum but it does not have mothers maiden name in records.My Grandmothers birth name was Prior born in liverpool married name Seddon as I do not know what I am doing really do I have to order birth certificates as it is the same for My Grandfathers mother Help!!!! all tips and advice appriciated as I would love to trace my dads brother.

Th

Thanks in advance

Pam

Pam Report 16 Mar 2010 15:06

If the birth is after 1911 the record should have mother's maiden name against it..

Thelma

Thelma Report 16 Mar 2010 15:08

Your gran's birth name is her maiden name.
Find your dad's birth reg. and it will give his mother's maiden.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 16 Mar 2010 15:12

could this be her ?

Marriages Jun 1931 (>99%)
Prior Caroline Seddon W.Derby 8b 906
Seddon John Prior W.Derby 8b 906

Pam

Pam Report 16 Mar 2010 15:12

Have you tried putting names that you know into SEARCH at top left hand of the page ?

Debbie

Debbie Report 16 Mar 2010 20:11

Thanks for all replies and tips thank you Lindsey you have found the correct . I didnot explain myself very well How would I find out my Great Grandmothers Maiden name, would I have to order my grandmothers birth certificate as I have no idea of her name.
thank you for your help

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 16 Mar 2010 21:39

you need her marriage cert that will give her age, fathers name and occupation, and sometimes witnesses.

price of certs increase in April.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 16 Mar 2010 21:47

lets start again, do you know when she died and where? Her death reg should give her approximate age .

David ‡ Mills

David ‡ Mills Report 16 Mar 2010 21:55

Debbie, welcome to my world :-)
Let me try to give you a quick get-you-started.
You have two parents; each of those have two parents and each of those have two parents and so on. So far we have eight great grandparents, so you need to be clear about which of them you are talking about.

For all of the 1900's you need certificates, so that you prove your ancestry as you go. You can guess, or take some information from the GRO Index, but then you do not know for sure that you have the correct people.

I assume you know your parent's names and your mother's maiden (birth) surname, and their birth dates.
Next you need their birth certificates. They will tell you the names of their parents.

Now you want to know when those parents were born, so you can get their birth certificates. There are two ways you can find that information;
1) If you know when (or approximately when) they died, find the death registration in the GRO Index. That will tell you their age at death or their birthdate (depending on when they died).
2) obtain each couple's marriage certificate, which usually tells you their ages (and hence birth years) and their father's names.

Now you need their birth certificates ... and so on.
Once you reach someone born before 1901 (or 1911 if you're prepared to pay more) you can find them in the Census and mostly avoid the need for certificates.

There really is no alternative to buying (birth) certificates for people born after 1901. Unless your living relatives know for sure what their names and birthdates were.
--
Dave.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 16 Mar 2010 22:01

This COULD be your grandmother's birth. But as it is 1909 it doesn't show the mother's maiden name online. To find out what that is would need you to buy the birth certificate. It could still turn out to be the wrong person, as your grandmother might not have been born in 1909. Her marriage certificate to Mr Seddon would give her approximate birthdate as being 22, if the lady below is the right one. The marriage certificate would also tell you her father's name and occupation, so you can check with the 1911 census if you think you have the right Caroline.

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837-1915
about Caroline Prior
Name: Caroline Prior
Year of Registration: 1909
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: West Derby
County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b
Page: 451 (click to see others on page)

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 16 Mar 2010 22:04

This would seem to be that Caroline in 1911:

PRIOR, John Head Married M 66 1845 Labour Lanc Liverpool VIEW
PRIOR, Jane Wife Married
13 years F 39 1872 Lanc Liverpool VIEW
PRIOR, W J Son Single M 19 1892 Mill Hand Lanc Liverpool VIEW
PRIOR, Thomas Son M 12 1899 School Lanc Liverpool VIEW
PRIOR, Adam Son M 11 1900 School Lanc Liverpool VIEW
PRIOR, Katharine Daughter F 6 1905 School Lanc Liverpool VIEW
PRIOR, David Son M 9 1902 School Lanc Liverpool VIEW
PRIOR, Caroline Daughter F 2 1909 Lanc Liverpool VIEW
PRIOR, Elizabeth Daughter F 6 1905 School Lanc Liverpool VIEW
PRIOR, James Son M 4 1907 Lanc Liverpool VIEW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RG number:
RG14 Piece:
22468 Reference:
RG14PN22468 RG78PN1323 RD455 SD6 ED25 SN381

Registration District:
West Derby Sub District:
Kirkdale EnumerationDistrict:
25 Parish:
Kirkdale

Address:
37 Heriot Street Kirkdale Liverpool County:
Lancashire

So if her marriage certificate says she was 22, her father was John and he was a Labourer, it is likely the right family.

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 16 Mar 2010 22:08

I was going down that path too,Meg.
Would this be her death?
Name: Caroline Seddon
Birth Date: 31 Jan 1909
Death Registration Month/Year: Jan 1996
Age at death (estimated): 87
Registration district: Knowsley
Inferred County: Merseyside
Register number: D36
District and Subdistrict: 0231D
Entry number: 106

Maureen

Debbie

Debbie Report 16 Mar 2010 22:31

Thank you to all

On the right track this is the right family, so can I just re-cap to find my great-grandmothers maiden name as not on info for grandmother caroline Prior I need to order birth Certs is that correct then I can check on census before 1901. I have joined this site is there any others that may be good to subscribe to.

Thank you again to all
Debbie

Thelma

Thelma Report 16 Mar 2010 23:23

You will notice the age difference
You are looking for a marriage about 1898

1901 England Census
about Jane Prior
Name: Jane Prior
Estimated birth year: abt 1869
Relation: Wife
Spouse's name: John
Where born: Liverpool, Lancashire, England

Civil parish: Kirkdale
Ecclesiastical parish: St Aidan
County/Island: Lancashire

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: West Derby
Sub-registration district: Kirkdale
ED, institution, or vessel: 33
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 311
Household Members: Name Age
John Prior 56
Jane Prior 32
Sarah E Prior 23 daughter
William J Whittaker 8
Thomas Prior 2
Adam Prior 6 months
here it is
Marriage

John Prior 1899 Liverpool (1837-1934) Lancashire
View Record
Jane Whittaker 1899 Liverpool (1837-1934) Lancashire
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sarah E. Prior John,
Elizabeth abt 1878 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Daughter Liverpool, Lancashire

Debbie

Debbie Report 17 Mar 2010 22:22

Thank you everone all your help is really appriciated

Deb