Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

michael2

michael2 Report 16 Mar 2010 23:02

i am running fire fox when i try to enter a site i/e genes i get a sign which say fire fox cannot find genes reunited when i finely get on to the site it takes a long time to load. or will direct me to my web search the i have to start all over again i have used ccleaner to clean makes no difference.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Mar 2010 05:47

hmmmmm

I also have Mozilla Firefox, although I usually use IE6 to access GR

When I first set up Mozilla, it came up with Google as the first page (still does). I had to google to find GR. Then I bookmarked it ....... but as I said, I usually use IE6

I've just tried to get to GR through Mozilla, clicked on the Bookmark, and GR opened right away.

so, I'm no help.

Hi Frank!

Bet you're asleep by now though!!

sylvia

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 17 Mar 2010 06:42

I have had a similar problem with site not found on the odd occasion when the previous instance of Firefox hasn't closed down fully.

Assuming that you have checked the obvious, i.e. that you are using the correct url / web address, then go to Task Manager, click on the Processes Tab , then on the Image name heading to sort into alphabetical order, then scroll down to see if there is a process called firefox.exe in the list. If so then select it and click the End Process button bottom right. Don't kill any other processes.

If you are running CCleaner, make sure that cookies for your favourite sites are not deleted, otherwise you will be forced to log back in each time you enter the site. This could also explain why you might be re-directed to a different page than you expect.

wisechild

wisechild Report 17 Mar 2010 07:21

I have been having the same problem with Firefox for the last 3 days.
It´s driving me mad.
Marion

Wend

Wend Report 17 Mar 2010 07:58

Please Inspector - I have lost my cookies for favourite sites after a clean-up and have to log in each time. Please could you tell me how to get them back. I use Firefox.

michael2

michael2 Report 17 Mar 2010 12:58

thank you all for your impute,s michael

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 17 Mar 2010 14:48

Wend,

Unfortunately once they are gone you can't get your cookies back. The only way is to re-set any preferences you might have each time you re-visit a site. Ancestry is one such site that makes extensive use of cookies end remembers your last settings for when you go back in.

As far as passwords are concerned, Firefox has a secure facility for remembering these. If you have a look at the help page it will explain how it all works.

http://tiny.cc/zmEcV

Wend

Wend Report 17 Mar 2010 16:22

Thanks very much Inspector. I'm just wondering how my cookies got there in the first place then. I now have to put my customer id in every time I visit my online bank, even though I tick the 'remember my id' box. I then have to put in my pob and pin number. I only had to put in my pin number previously. Also, with FMP I have to put in my password each time, whereas I didn't before. I will look at the help page you suggest.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 17 Mar 2010 16:28

Wend,

Cookies get saved automatically onto your PC as you browse through websites.

Some sites, Banking could be one, manage passwords differently. I think my Bank Website has a box to tick if you want to save your details, but never passwords - it still ends up saving a cookie on your PC though.

Judy

Judy Report 17 Mar 2010 16:34

I find changing the following setting in CONTROL PANEL helps:

1. In the CONTROL PANEL click on INTERNET OPTIONS.

2. A small screen named INTERNET PROPERTIES appears with labeled tabs. Click on ADVANCED.

3. Scroll down to the sub-heading SECURITY and make sure the following all have a check in front of them:

USE SSL 2.0
USE SSL 3.0
USE TLS 1.0
(Usally one of these is NOT checked off.)

4. After there is a check mark in front of each, click on the APPLY and OK at the bottom of the screen.

If nothing else, doing the above will lessen the times you get the message, INTERNET PAGE CAN'T BE FOUND.

Judy (in the States)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Mar 2010 17:40

Thanks for that Judy.

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 18 Mar 2010 13:49

Hi all,

If you are using Ccleaner to tidy things up, it rubs out all the cookies unless you go into tools on Ccleaner and make your favourite sites "stick"
It creates a list of sites you would rather keep.
I'm using a notebook with Ubuntu just now and just Google Genes to get on as has been mentioned earlier.

With regard to passwords, I'm happier not saving anything to do with banking on any computer.
My banking sites are in my 'favorites' but I would always recommend inputing passwords/codes etc as required.......security really.

I keep my passwords etc on an e-mail saved to a memory stick and merely cut & paste the details into any online form when needed.....no keyboard inputs!!
i've even had Norton Security ask if I want to save passwords but I just would not want my passwords anywhere outside my own personal property.......too much to lose.

P.S I have a copy of my passwords on a DVD & CD in case I lose the memory stick.

P.P.S Sylvia, we were actually being regaled by dear little Sophia's dulcet tones but grandparents don't need with sleep ;))
Your turn next...........

Carter

Carter Report 18 Mar 2010 14:57

just nudging as i run firefox but havent had any problems but you never know !! hope i havent jinxed things now
linda

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 18 Mar 2010 15:04

Firefox actually encrypts passwords so even if someone manages to get hold of them they are of no use. As far as passwords for sensitive sites are concerned, then you still have to enter them. The site itself makes sure of that.