Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What was his occupation?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

miffed

miffed Report 17 Mar 2010 10:12

My mother told me recently that my late grandfather used to help clear the bodies from battlefields during WWII. Would this job have a title?

Also would anyone be able to tell me any more about this role other than the obvious.

Grateful, as usual for any info.

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 17 Mar 2010 10:46

My husband's grandfather was given this awful job as well but in the First (Great) War. He is mentioned in the National Roll of the Great War as follows:

Ellis R H Private 1/4th Northants Regiment.......He was unable to obtain his transfer overseas, but, nevertheless, did much useful work with his unit until demobilised in February 1919. He re-enlisted , however, in the following June and was employed on exhumation duties in France until finally demobilised in July 1920...

Hope this helps.

miffed

miffed Report 17 Mar 2010 13:50

Thankyou Wildgoose. I presume the term "exhumator" is appropriate. Would you know a website I can look on re WWII?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Mar 2010 13:53

Misidentified Graves - Campaigners for War Grave Commemorati...
Burial Return ('A') for Exhumations from V Corps British Cemetery No.15 (River ... WW1 map Sheet 57d (large scale), showing almost the whole of square R.2 ...

www.cwgc.co.uk/misidentified.htm - 52k - Similar pages

http://www.cwgc.co.uk/misidentified.htm
Laid to rest: Hundreds of British soldiers killed in WW1 bat...
6 May 2009 ... Laid to rest: Hundreds of British soldiers killed in WW1 battle are ... for the mass exhumation of World War One graves to begin today ...

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1177512/Laid-re... - Similar pages

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1177512/Laid-rest-Hundreds-British-soldiers-killed-WW1-battle-exhumed-mass-grave-buried-honour.html
German WW1 Military Burials in Belgium
In most cases the exhumations were carried out for individual graves or small plots, ... Hooglede: the 8247 WW1 burials were not moved from this cemetery. ...

www.greatwar.co.uk/article/german-military-buria... - 17k - Similar pages

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/article/german-military-burials-belgium.htm

miffed

miffed Report 17 Mar 2010 13:58

Wow Thankyou Ann of Green Gables.

That will keep me busy for a while. g.

miffed

miffed Report 18 Mar 2010 15:48

Thankyou PigletsPal, that info was very helpful as I rather think he was a regular soldier sent out to do this job.

Thankyou.
Gaynor