Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Deaths after 2004

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Neil

Neil Report 18 Mar 2010 07:01

This may sound a silly question to those of you who are 'research experts' but is there a way to find information via the internet on deaths after 2004? I have been checking death certificates and celebrating the news that someone was not dead as I had feared, and then I discovered that information on deaths on this site only goes up to 2004.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 18 Mar 2010 08:08

Basically you can't. The GRO have only released the indexes up to 2005 (apart from a few exceptions)

The decision not to release any more was part of the GRO digitisation program which sadly was put on hold because the funds ran out.

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 19 Mar 2010 02:28

Not strictly true. FindMyPast has BMD indexes up to 2006, which is the most up to date ONLINE index. However, you can view the index up to 2008 (and the provisional 2009 index) at the following locations:

Greater Manchester County Record Office
Birmingham Central Library
Bridgend Reference and Information Library
Plymouth Central Library
City of Westminster Archives Centre
London Metropolitan Archives
The British Library

(this info info from: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Registeringlifeevents/Familyhistoryandresearch/DG_175464)

For more recent deaths (2009 - 2010) that have not yet made it onto the GRO index, you need to contact the local register offfice where the death occurred.

cheers,
Richard

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 19 Mar 2010 05:49

Not via the internet, though, which was the original question.

Neil

Neil Report 20 Mar 2010 07:05

Thanks very much for the advice.

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 21 Mar 2010 09:41

On the internet it's 2006 (FindMyPast). So to say 2005 is the latest is not strictly true.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 21 Mar 2010 10:37

As I said 2005 (apart from a few exceptions)......!

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 21 Mar 2010 10:44

So you don't consider a whole year's worth of records that are in the timeframe requested by the OP to be worth mentioning?