Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WILLIAM CAREY BORN 4TH QTR. 1902

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Iris

Iris Report 23 Mar 2010 11:33

I have been trying to locate William Carey's death certificate. He was born 4th qtr. 1902. I have just been informed he died in the first world war, I thought that he would have been too young, but perhaps he lied about his age. I've found a couple of deaths for William Carey for 1918, unfortunately I don't know where, if he did, serve. Can anybody please point me in the right direction?

Iris

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 23 Mar 2010 11:39

Iris, maybe you need to backtrack a bit.
Firstly, are you absolutely certain about his birth? Where was it? Do you know anything else about him?
Also, where have you got this info about his death from?
(Please excuse the barrage of questions!).
Jan

Iris

Iris Report 23 Mar 2010 11:44

He was born in St. Giles in West London. I have him living with his family in Goldsmith Street in 1911 Census. He is my husband's uncle. My sister-in-law told me that her mother, William's sister, told her that William had died in the first world war.

Iris

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 23 Mar 2010 11:48

OK, fair enough! Although not unheard of, you are right, he would have been very unusual to have died in that war.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 23 Mar 2010 11:50

Do you have his address in 1911? Service records on Ancestry often have the address, and it might just be the same.
The other possibility is that he did not die at war, but during that time maybe?
Jan

Iris

Iris Report 23 Mar 2010 11:56

His address was 13 Goldsmith Street, WC London.

Yes I think the possibility that he died "during" that time does sound more logical, but I just can't seem to find his death certificate irrespective.

Regards

Iris

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 23 Mar 2010 12:04

Me neither! Not sure where to go with this I have to admit.
Jan

Iris

Iris Report 23 Mar 2010 12:06

No Problem. Thank you so much for trying to help. I'll just keep plugging away in the hopes that I will come up with something.

Regards

Iris

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 23 Mar 2010 12:19

Such a pity. If your info about his death is accurate, he probably lied as you say so very difficult to locate military death or records.
The only other remote chance is that he didn't die then at all, maybe emigrated or there was a family rift. It's a desperately long shot, but if you had is exact birth date and he died after 1970 it would probably be possible to find it! But so remote a possibility not sure I would go there.
Jan

Iris

Iris Report 23 Mar 2010 13:36

My sister-in-law's exact words were "Mum's brother Bill died in the first world war". I said that I thought he was rather young and if he had died then he must have lied about his age. I do know that his father Richard Carey was in the first world war, which he survived. Whether it was a son wanting to be a part of what his father was experiencing, or he may well have even seen it as a sense of adventure! Who knows?

Thanks once again

Regards

Iris