Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Frustrated Member

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 25 Mar 2010 10:33

I know this subject has been brought up before but I am so frustrated.

I sent a message to a member. They don't respond. I check to see if they have opened my message and no!

I have several messages sent to people who I think may be connected to the same branch of my tree and cannot get a response. Very frustrating.

Can GR tell me if they have membership lapsed? I wish their trees are removed when they are no longer a member. It would save such a lot of disapointment.

Dee

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Mar 2010 10:39

Yes, it's very frustrating but there is not much you can do about it. Not everyone comes onto Genes regularly and if a member has changed their email address without letting Genes know then they will not get an email telling them they have a message, so they will only see it if they log onto the site.

The longest I waited for a reply to a message was 8 months - so don't give up.

GR won't tell you if the membership has lapsed - in fact they do not need to be a paid member to have their tree on Genes.

Kath. x

Julie

Julie Report 25 Mar 2010 10:40

Im still waiting after 6 years...lol

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 25 Mar 2010 10:42

Thanks Kath
No I never give up, I too have had very late responses. But in this instance, I could do with a response now!! lol.

You know how it is, like the buses, you wait ages without one coming along and then several come together. This side of my tree has been dormant for about 12 months and a few more jigsaw pieces have been found in the last few weeks and I a m keen to move on.

Oh well.
Thank you for your reply.
Dee

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 25 Mar 2010 10:49

Yes Jonesey
I suppose there are two ways at looking at it. It is useful to know they are opened

Thelma

Thelma Report 25 Mar 2010 10:54

The basis system is that only members can delete.
Change that and it would probable be the end of the site.
Just think,if Genes did delete,you would not be aware of these fellow researchers.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 25 Mar 2010 11:03

Unfortunately there is no such concept of a lapsed member on GR.

I have over 40 unopened messages, all over a month old, going back as far as last September. I know several other contacts who very rarely visit the site - one, a distant cousin of my wife logs on once a year to reply to any messages she has. Yes once a year!

If the message has been opened, at least you know they are logging in, so it is sometimes worth a follow up.

Joy

Joy Report 25 Mar 2010 11:15

I empathise.
I have had messages opened and still receive no response.