Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CANT RECEIVE OR SEND MESSAGES REALLY FRUSTRATING!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robert

Robert Report 28 Mar 2010 13:46

Can anybody help me,i cannot receive or send messages to other members,i paid the membership fee,got a receipt message for that and now ironically i cant send or receive messages.Ive found the person i was looking for but i cant send them a request to view their tree as the messages are not getting through to them,ive tried to send a message to myself and that doesnt work either.Any advice would be greatly appreciated,thanks Rob.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 28 Mar 2010 13:47

I've tried sending you a PM, let me know if it works.

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 28 Mar 2010 13:52

Robert

Try logging out and then back in again, see if that works.

Mary

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Mar 2010 14:07

have sent a PM, try replying there or click on my name here to see if it comes through

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 28 Mar 2010 14:16

Rob has got my PM - and replied to it four times!

Rob, how do you know messages are not getting through? Go to Messages, Sent Messages, and you will get a list of what you have sent. If the messages you are referring to are on the list, then they have been sent. If the little envelopes have not been "opened" it means the person hasn't opened them.

If you are sending messages to people who have changed their email addresses since joining GR, or don't go to their emails very often, then they might never get opened, or not opened for a while.

Robert

Robert Report 28 Mar 2010 14:36

Thanks for that,ive gone to my messages,sent messages and i can see that only todays emails sent to me from members helping me about the post i placed are opened with pictures of an envelope flipped open and some of them have an arrow on them aswell,which i think means ive replied to them,which i have.The earlier messages i sent to members last month are still sealed purple envelopes,so like you say its possible that they dont go on the internet that often or have changed their email addresses etc.Its frustrating because ive found who i am looking for i just cant contact them and because i was receiving no replies back from them.I presumed that I couldnt send or receive messages.I do think that there is still a problem with me sending out a message,not from a reply but me sending out the first point of contact to a member directly from me,i will try that next as i have previously contacted genes reunited and numerous other members at random to see if they got my message and none of those persons have replied to date,not even genes reunited so something is still wrong i think,i will now attempt to send a message (pm) directly from me to a random member and see if that gets through,either ive been very unlucky and all the previous messages ive sent have gone to members thats either changed their email addresses or dont go online very often or theres still a problem,here goes,Rob.

Robert

Robert Report 28 Mar 2010 14:51

yes wireless turned on and working,thanks

Robert

Robert Report 28 Mar 2010 14:52

ive just sent a PM directly through the search box to a member that gave me their details,i am awaiting the response to see if they got it,thanks rambling rose

Robert

Robert Report 28 Mar 2010 14:53

Thanks Mary,i tried logging back out and in and that didnt make any difference

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 28 Mar 2010 15:07

I think we've ascertained that Rob has simply tried to contact members who are no longer active, just bad luck Rob.

It is not as unusual as you think. A while ago someone on here calculated that only a very small percentage of members are truly active on a regular basis, and we've often had reports of people getting replies to messages sent years earlier.

Robert

Robert Report 28 Mar 2010 15:21

THANKS TO EVERYBODY WHO HELPED ME!!
Problem solved,i can send and receive messages,as the above says,i simply had bad luck with contacting members that are either no longer with GR or havn't checked in to read their messages etc,but with a little emailing experiment from a couple of members its proved that my messages can be read and returned successfully,thanks for everybody that helped me in particular Doris and Margaret,have a nice day,Rob from Hull,East Yorkshire