Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Louise

Louise Report 29 Mar 2010 10:36

For the past three years I have used Ancestry.co.uk, have an extensive family tree of 954 people, and numerous records and photos etc etc etc. I now find that Genes Reunited has so many matches to people in my tree from other trees and want to start using this site. However it has taken three years to put all my info onto Ancestry. Can I import this information somehow to Genes reunited, so I do not have to start again from scratch.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 29 Mar 2010 10:40

It might be wise to just put a skelton tree on here and always ask who they are looking for before revealing. So many complaints about tree bandits on here lately.
The gedcom doesnt always travel well, no photos some notes missing etc

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 29 Mar 2010 10:42

If you want to put your whole tree on here you can export your gedcom from Ancestry and import it on here.

Photos are not included in a gedcom.

Christine

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 29 Mar 2010 12:48

Don't you have a family tree program on your computer at home? I can't believe, with that many people in your tree, that it's only online.

Eddieisagrandad

Eddieisagrandad Report 29 Mar 2010 14:34

Be Warned - I uploaded a new gedcom here last week.
When I checked my tree all the years-of-birth were set to "0". All the dates of birth were all set to OctNovDec and all the marriage information appeared in the baptism-source of information section.
The notes section for each person was filled with line afer line of nonsense.
I can't be arsed to completely re-write my tree - some 600 persons, so my tree here can remain as it is and my subs have been reset to once only membership.
Stick to Ancestry is my advice.

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 29 Mar 2010 14:53

Hi,
A while ago someone put a post on here regarding free Ancestry access at your local Library.
My library (cambridgeshire) have told me that I would get full access to all records, so for those who want to 'keep their tree alive' but without paying subs again this may be an option once they have moved their tree over to GR. At least you know you can view it

Cheryl

Thelma

Thelma Report 29 Mar 2010 15:00

My wife has had a tree on Ancestry for years.
She has never been a paying member.
Same on Genes.
Trees are not part of a subscription.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 29 Mar 2010 15:20

I have never had a problem uploading a gedcom to GR and have been doing it on a regular basis since I joined in 2003. I always create the file from my FTM program using Gedcom 5.5 format as recommended.

There can be a problem if you try to import a date in a format GR doesn't recognise - 30 MAR 1989 should be fine, as should 30/03/1989

GR does not support every possible gedcom data fields but you should be ok for the following, in addition to name date and place of birth - baptism date, place of baptism, marriage date, place of marriage, occupation, known as (i.e. nickname), source of data and notes.