Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Overseers of the Poor

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 29 Mar 2010 11:33

I dont know about you but....

When I think of the people who were in the position to give out parish relief I tend to think they were, in the main, hard hearted and would look for reasons against making a payment rather than for.

Well while searching the 'Meetings of the Visitors held at the Hampstead Workhouse 1809-1813' I found an entry for my 4 x GGrandmother.

1810 - 26 October
Edward Brunt. Wife applied for relief. Husband works as a Labourer for Mr Witcman (sic) but has been out of work, gone to work this day. Husband was born in Wells Street, Oxford Road. 2 children.
Relieved as a casual with 2/6.
>>>NB. Mr Charles Holford also gave her 2/6.

This was a stark reminder to me that I couldn't assume all overseers were mean men and although they had to keep to the law, when providing relief, at least one had a charitable heart and the 'meeting' was obviously in agreement as the 'private' matter was recorded.

If you have ancestors that you think may have needed relief then the poor law records can be a mine of 'meat on the bones' information and can help to break down a brick wall.

In this case the various poor law entries for Edward and his wife led me to a place of birth for Edward and his marriage, both of which did not take place in Hampstead, and from there I have been able to confirm another generation back for both.

I would never have known Edward was in the poor law records if I hadn't looked as his need was always seasonal. Claims were only made during the period October to February each year so the family would never have appeared in a census as receiving parish relief.

Obviously not all Poor Law records survive but where they do and your ancestors are recorded well you never know what you might find!

Chris

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 29 Mar 2010 12:28

I do hope that they weren't all mean......!

Both my ggg grandfather and his father before him held the office in a small township in Yorkshire. In fact over several years they held several parish offices, which they rotated, including Parish Clerk, Constable, Churchwarden, Overseer of Highways and Overseer of the Poor.

Cathy

Cathy Report 29 Mar 2010 13:36

Chris,

That's such a lovely story..... it quite touched my heart!

It would be really good to find more "meat on the bones" instead of just dates, names and places. I would love to find some for my ancestors!

InspectorGreenPen I'm sure your ggg grandad and his dad were lovely :-)

Kind regards,

Cathy

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 29 Mar 2010 13:36

InspectorGreenPen

Of course, it went without saying, your ancestors would never be placed under the heading 'mean' lol

Chris

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 29 Mar 2010 14:02

Cathy

'Meat on the Bones' can be a wonderful but sometimes difficult thing to find.

It will depend on when and where you are researching.

As a start, 'Google'

Chris

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 29 Mar 2010 15:44

In 1806 gggg grandfather left his daughter £1,100 plus the Bed together with the Box & a Chest of Drawers in the Chamber which she used & slept in, my ggg grandfather got what was left, and by all accounts, squandered the lot.

We certainly have other connected relatives who received parish relief from time to time, but I must admit I never thought of searching for any records. Will certainly give it a try.