Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Linking a certificate to a GRO reference

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Apr 2010 20:50

Is there any way of linking an actual certificate to it's reference...I can't see any matching numbers.

I have copies of 2 certificates for births in the same area, - same name and same quarter.
I thought I'd go to the freebmd site and put postems, but I don't know which is which now, as they were bought over 10 years ago.

Can anyone help please?
Gwyn

Pam

Pam Report 2 Apr 2010 20:52

Can't help you solve that one but you could put the information on

www.bmdshare.com

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Apr 2010 20:57

Thanks Pam.

That might be the best thing to do.

I was wondering if the birth registered first would have a lower number on the GRO list.
I know it would in the local ledger, but can I be sure they'd keep that order on the GRO index.?

Gwyn

Kay????

Kay???? Report 2 Apr 2010 21:19

Gwyn,
No they dont for GRO as they entered them up in their registeres as and when quarterly returns were done and from all over country as same named index if you know what I mean:}.....,hope this helps.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Apr 2010 21:31

Thanks for your reply Kay.

These 2 births are in the same quarter, same district and registered by the same deputy registrar, ...one in October, one in December,They were probably submiited from that office at the end of that quarter so in theory the October birth should have been copied across first onto the GRO list....but who knows?

Gwyn