Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help, Features of Family Tree Maker 2006 & 2009

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tina

Tina Report 3 Apr 2010 16:26

Please could a Family Tree Maker 2009 user tell me about navigating between trees, ancestor or descendant and back to the family page of an individual.

In 2006 a person other than the person used for the root of the tree can be clicked on to go straight back to that persons family page. Is that possible in 2009?

I bought 2010 and found to my horror that the trees are a separate part of the programme and navigation back from a tree is only possible to the root person.

I thought 2009 might have extra search options, and retain tree navigation to suit me. I find the search for occupation in 2010 useful.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 Apr 2010 07:15

You can do it, but it is not very elegant. Just tried this in FTM 2010 using a Descendant Tree.

Click the Chart for the person you want, and then open the index of Individuals (or F2) and double click the name - it should be lightly highlighted. Alternatively just open the index and select the name you want. However clicking the name on the tree first will take you straight there. Basically what this is doing is changing the root person in the chart.

You should now see the name highlighted in the space at the top of the screen. Hit People to return to that persons family page.

The other down side it that If you go back to the chart, whoever is selected in your new family view will now be the root person, not the one in your original chart.

Tina

Tina Report 4 Apr 2010 11:23

Thank you so much for that.
My tree has many people of the same name, not all with dates so I use the tree to navigate from a person easily identified in the index to someone several generations up or down when I'm not sure of the route.

I'll give it a try.

I tried but the person locator or F2 always only highlighted the original root person, not the one I had clicked on in the tree view. The new features have their uses but until tree navigation both into and out of are revised it is little use to me. They've spoilt it.