Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A quck question please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Beverley

Beverley Report 4 Apr 2010 19:26

If a woman marries, the husband dies or she divorces, would the records show her with her maiden name or married name if she married for a second time?

Thanks

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 4 Apr 2010 19:30

when I married for second time my cert shows my first married name and in "condition" says previous marriage dissolved. No mention at all of my name at birth.

Beverley

Beverley Report 4 Apr 2010 19:31

Thanks LadyinRed

It appears the person I'm looking for didn't marry then.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 4 Apr 2010 19:35

If the first husband died she would be recorded in her previous married name and the condition would be Widow. No mention would be made of her maiden name. However, if there are children from the second marriage their birth certs would show her original maiden name and possibly her previous married name as well.

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 4 Apr 2010 19:36

she may choose to go back to her maiden name especially after a divorce and in this case would show as maiden name on next marriage

remember it is only fairly recently that you have had to prove ID to get married i.e. with birth cert, decree nisi etc, in the past you just said who you were and it was believed, hence all the father's names on marriage certs of illegitimate children who would have had no idea who their father was

Beverley

Beverley Report 4 Apr 2010 19:38

Thanks everyone.

This is quite a recent 'marriage' - possibly around 1945. I can find details of her children with her maiden name listed and I have found her death details with the 'married' name but I can't find any marriage details. I'll keep looking.

Thanks for all your help

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 Apr 2010 20:11

A lot depends on the date. Typically in the 19th Century, the certificate would show Mary, Latterly Smith, Formerly Jones. Where Jones is her maiden name and Smith is her previous married name.

In the 20th Century, I have found examples where only the married name is quoted and others were both married and maiden name is there. too I also have examples where the GRO has actually indexed both married and maiden names, but this seemed to be rare, although a little gem when you find one.

However, in many recent cases the marriage shows only the wife's married surname, but the births show her maiden name. I have managed to suss a few, though, using a bit of clever detective work.

Moral probably is that nothing in this game is cast in stone check and re-check everything.

mgnv

mgnv Report 4 Apr 2010 20:18

If Mary Jones "married" Mr Smith, her son John will appear as
Smith John Jones RD=Wigan vol=8c p=62 or whatever.

If she didn't marry him, but he acknowledged paternity, there will be two index entries to the same b.cert, showing:
Jones John Jones RD=Wigan vol=8c p=62
Smith John Jones RD=Wigan vol=8c p=62

Beverley

Beverley Report 4 Apr 2010 20:31

Thanks mgnv. That hasn't happened in this case but I have a vague recollection that this aunt didn't marry and was considered a disgrace by my grandmother. If she never married could her death details be in her 'married' name though?

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 4 Apr 2010 20:41

a death registration uses information provided by the informant and from the death cert

if she used her partner's name even if they weren't married she may well be recorded as such on the death cert by the doctor and the informant may also have used this name

Beverley

Beverley Report 4 Apr 2010 20:44

Thanks Helen

I was thinking that because if the informant wasn't aware she wasn't married she would be registered in whatever name she was known as I assume. I think this is what happened then.

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 4 Apr 2010 21:24

Beverley, are you able to post any details & let us have a look for you?

Beverley

Beverley Report 4 Apr 2010 21:27

I would rather not post details as the children are still living and I would need to post their details too.

Thanks for the offer anyway.