Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Reestablishing contact..Advice needed Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 5 Apr 2010 18:36

In Feb 09 I made contact with the family of my Great Grandmother, who went to Canada (leaving behind my Grandmother) and started a new family....

I spoke to one member by phone and e-mail for a number of weeks,she told me they were all excited I had been in touch and was going to do some searching, question asking and would get back to me .....Then nothing for over a year now......

Today I have written, written and rewritten an e-mail to her....it just never seems to sound right....also, not knowing any reason for the sudden lack of communication, make me a little hesitant in contacting her....

What would you do?

Misty x

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 5 Apr 2010 18:59

Hi Beverley

I'm not normally a ditherer and your right I know I shall regret not trying one more time....The family member told me there were Photo's of my GGrandmother, I would so love to see them, never having seen any.

The last thing I want is to cause any " upset " to anyone...

Misty x

mgnv

mgnv Report 6 Apr 2010 00:49

Bev's advice sounds good to me

Janet

Janet Report 6 Apr 2010 15:16

Why not write to them asking if they had a good Easter and say that it has given you time to have a look at your family tree.It may be that they are genuinely busy and they too may have meant to write but kept putting it off. If you keep the communication general and open the way to a reply, that may be all it takes.

Otherwise accept that it wasn't meant to be or that the time to learn about the family isn't just now.This has happened to me, its a bit disappointing but so many others have made my day thats its worth trying. -JLe

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 6 Apr 2010 15:37

I think Janet has the best idea - I'm sure they were excited at the time, but they have lives to get on with, problems to deal with and a relative "stranger" is probably not on the list of priorities. A chatty reminder might be just what they need.

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 6 Apr 2010 21:19

Hello All

I must apologies for not getting back sooner...." real life " is a little hectic at the moment.....

Thank you for your comments and suggestions, I really feel I need to try one more time....I shall send an e-mail using the suggestions from both Beverley and Janet, If it does'nt work at least I can say " I tried " as Beverley say's.....nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Seeing a photo of my GGrandmother is the one thing I would love, more than anything....

Once again Thank you

Misty x

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 6 Apr 2010 21:41

How disappointing, Misty! I recall how excited you were when you made contact. To think that these people have photos of your gt. grandmother, you must be desperate to see them. I know I would be.
I wish you all the luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.