Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Computer help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 7 Apr 2010 11:31

Could anyone please tell me what this message means that keeps coming up on my computer from Windows Internet Explorer.
! Stack overflow at line 14358543.

I can only get rid of it by clicking on OK.
Alan.

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 7 Apr 2010 11:44

From "Google"

Getting Stack Overflow Error is surely a signal that your registry is corrupted. What you need to do is to fix Stack Overflow Error as well as other registry errors to prevent your registry from total corruption................

Link explaning how to to fix.

http://windowsexpert.us/StackOverflow.html

Another explanation. ( from "Google" )

Support & Help Guides:
Are You Having Trouble with Stack Overflow?
Problem: Stack Overflow is caused by missing system files or broken system registry structures. This is a critical sign of an unstable system that is typically caused by improper maintenance of the computer.

Symptoms:Stack Overflow symptoms can include program lock-ups, slow PC performance, system freezes, shut down and startup problems, and installation errors.

http://www.regeasypro.com/support/stack-overflow/?gclid=CMDq4tS09KACFUYwpAod2Bp7uA

Alan

Alan Report 7 Apr 2010 12:25

Hello TonyOz.
Thank you for your reply, I have just looked at that website you mentioned and I think I will have to get someone in to sort it out, its beyond me.

I only get that Stack overflow on message up on Gr, not on other websites.
Does that mean anything ?
Regards. Alan.

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 7 Apr 2010 13:57

Hi Alan.

Sorry,i didnt respond, but its late into the evening where i live ( Aussie )

I also run Windows I.E and had a few problems with this years ago. Kept popping up on certain sites only.
Unfortunatley, i'm not so technically minded to explain why this happens ( Stack Overflow )

This is how it was explained to me.

"What's a stack overflow?" - well, for a simple phrase, it's a fairly deeply technical answer. It has to do with how the computer itself manages data, and how the programs running on it utilize it.

Conceptually, a stack is just that ... a stack of information. You can put things on the stack, and take things off of the stack. It sounds kinda useless, but you'll have to trust me that it's fundamental and incredibly useful on microprocessors.

Each program running has it's own stack somewhere in the computer's memory. But because there's so much else going on in memory, each stack is only allocated so much room. Hopefully each program will a) allocate enough room to begin with, and b) not have a bug that would cause it to keep putting things onto the stack without taking them off. If you put too much on the stack ... it overflows. What happens when you overflow a stack varies based on how the software is written.

What causes a stack overflow? Again, it varies a lot. It all depends on how the software in question was written. Ultimately, any stack overflow that you see is a bug, somewhere.

Barrys advice might be the best way to go.

Best wishes.

Tony ( Australia )

Alan

Alan Report 7 Apr 2010 15:25

Hello TonyOz and Barry
Sorry for delay in repyling. I did as Barry sugested and have given it over a hour on GR and have not had the message come up again so I hope it has now been sorted.
I thank you both for you time and help, it was very much appreciated.
Regards to you both.
Alan.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 3 Aug 2010 17:34

strange as it may seem, Microsoft have a help site,
I recently had problems getting access to get updates,turns out I had a rootkit virus of some sort.
I was sent a link to download a program which, in turn found the problem and it was eradicated.

all done by email help..
my lappie now has wings!! so quick, I cant believe......

Bob

Norma

Norma Report 3 Aug 2010 19:14

Hi
If it is a rootkit virus and your have AVG securtity you can eradicate it by running the antiroot kit scan once a month.apparently the rootkit virus can only cause mayhem if it hooks onto another virus,that was how it was eplained to me by our man who fixes computers
If you double click onto the coloured squares on the bottom right hand side of your computer click onto "computer scanner " then click onto "anti root scan start scan"this will automatically check for this virus.
good luck

Norma

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 3 Aug 2010 21:57

Norma..........lovely name ........I was sweet on a young lady named Norma, from East Ham,a LO O O NG TIME AGO........but alas it was not meant to be..........

I DID have AVG on board a while back but it was conflicting with my mcafee........so it had to go.........
Bob

MarkMorgan

MarkMorgan Report 3 Aug 2010 22:34

A stack overflow in Internet Explorer would usually be caused by poor coding on the website you have visited. Probably in Java or Adobe Flash Player.

But just in case...

Ensure you have all the updates from Microsoft.
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
Download and install the latest version of the Java Virtual Machine http://www.java.com/en/download/
Download and install the latest version of Adobe Flash Player
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
Download and install the latest version of Adobe Shockwave Player
http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/

Other options: Use Google Chrome or Firefox instead of Internet Explorer.

Mark.