Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth in India in 1738?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Beverley

Beverley Report 7 Apr 2010 19:42

Could someone tell me how I go about finding out if my Gx5 Grandmother was born in India in 1738? Other people on GR have her on their tree but I would like to find some evidence for myself rather than take their word for it. Could someone point me in the right direction? Her name was Catherine Morley born 1738 and died 1800. She was married to Thompson Stoneham in 1761,

Thanks in advance

Quoy

Quoy Report 7 Apr 2010 20:22

Do not Know if you have this but
The Ipswich Journal Apr 18th 1801
Little Baddow Essex Dwelling house and land to be sold by auction. A most desirable estate called Whittwell comprising of a genteel family home in a rural and pleasant location at Little Baddow , formerly in the occupation of Thompson Stoneham esq and lately his widow Mrs Catherine Stoneham deceased.
it then goes on to list the house and land in some detail

Beverley

Beverley Report 7 Apr 2010 20:29

Wow!! Thanks for that Quoy. Any idea where I can get the full article? As I only found out about these people a few days ago, I know very little at the moment. I am trying to google it but have had very little success with newspaper archives so far.

Quoy

Quoy Report 7 Apr 2010 20:52

Hi I have pushed the newspapers up on records board for you

Beverley

Beverley Report 8 Apr 2010 07:51

Hi Quoy

Thanks for nudging the thread on records board but I still can't find that article. Could you provide a link for me? I'm struggling with Newspaper Archives in general.

Thanks
Beverley

Elice

Elice Report 13 Apr 2010 06:56

Hi Beverley,

I have a copy of the sales brochure and also a photograph of Whitwells. Catherine Morley and Thompson Stoneham are also my 5 x great grandparents.

Cheers
Elice Byrne

Elice

Elice Report 13 Apr 2010 06:59

Hi again Beverley,

If you search the European Christians in India between 1698-1947. You should find the reference to her birth.

Cheers
Elice

Beverley

Beverley Report 13 Apr 2010 07:43

Thanks so much for this Elice. I have been trying to PM you but you the purple envelope is still showing.