Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Middle names

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 7 Apr 2010 21:41

Hi all could anybody help with a query my gt gt grandfather was called Charles Pallet Cull born 1826 , he was illegitimate could the middle name pallet be that of the father thanks Carol

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 7 Apr 2010 21:57

Carol, it could be but then again it could be maiden name of grandmother - in reality it could be absolutely anything.
Not much help I know......

Carol

Carol Report 7 Apr 2010 22:04

Hi thanks for reply his grandmothers maiden names were Heeks & Mansell but i can t find the name pallet anywhere, other family names seem to repeat themselves in the next generation.

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 7 Apr 2010 22:06

what's his mother's name & where was he born? Trying to find him is difficult without that info

Carol

Carol Report 7 Apr 2010 22:10

His mother was Caroline Cull born Dumbleton Gloucestershire 1807 & Charles pallet Cull born23-7-1826 also dumbleton.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 7 Apr 2010 22:10

Carol,

Was he baptised? Maybe worth checking out the church records, I have seen many where the ChurchClerk/Vicar has inserted for example:

Jon Doe mother / Alice Doe Reputed father/ John Davies

I have even seen one stating Frank Jones who lives in the village of ? with his mother!.........I bet he did not get away!

Annx

Carol

Carol Report 7 Apr 2010 22:13

yes he was baptised at st peters dumbleton 28-7-1826

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 7 Apr 2010 22:18

Have you seen the actual register?

Annx

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 7 Apr 2010 22:20

Could this be him in 1841?
Date & place of birth fits as do mother being Caroline

1841 England Census
about Charles Cull
Name: Charles Cull
Estimated birth year: abt 1827
Where born: Gloucestershire, England

Civil parish: Dumbleton
Hundred: Kiftsgate (Lower Division)
County/Island: Gloucestershire

Street Address:

Registration district: Winchcomb
Sub-registration district: Cleeve
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Benjamin Cull 72
John Alwood 34
Caroline Alwood 34
Edwin Alwood 10
Sarah Alwood 8
Benjamin Alwood 6
Caroline Alwood 3
Elizabeth Alwood 3
Ann Alwood 8 Mo
Charles Cull 14

Carol

Carol Report 7 Apr 2010 22:25

Not really. i put a thread for gloucestershire parish records last week & had a message back from Victor thats where the name pallet came from it says mother caoline cull spinster child illegitimate GA ref pfc 121 1n 1/31.

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 7 Apr 2010 22:26

Carol, unfortunately you may just have to accept that this is one of those mysteries that can't be solved. I had a similar situation where my grandmother was born 2 years before her "parents" married. No father named on birth cert but by time she was 3 years old she was showing with his surname. I'll never know whether he was her biological father or not.
Hard to cope with I know.....

Carol

Carol Report 7 Apr 2010 22:27

Yes thats him with mother caroline & grandfather benjamin

Carol

Carol Report 7 Apr 2010 22:32

Never mind thanks anyway i was just wondering if maybe illegitimate children were sometimes named after their fathers even if they didn t hang around. thanks again Carol

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 7 Apr 2010 23:56

As it's an unusual name I would have a look to see if there was a suitable male in the village or surrounding area..... Not proof, but the information may fit in somewhere later.
If the mother told the child of his father's name maybe the father was recorded on the child's marriage certificate?

Gwyn

Libby22

Libby22 Report 8 Apr 2010 01:36

Hi Carol,

A magistrate would have asked Charles' mother who the father was, and a bastardy order would have been served on the father. The order, if it has survived, should be in the local record office, Bastardy orders were served to save the parish having to support an illegitimate child. Contact the local record office, or if you live locally visit - hopefully they will be able to help.

Carol

Carol Report 8 Apr 2010 18:15

Thank you for the replys i have never heard of a bastardy order but will contact the gloucestershire records office thanks once again regards Carol