Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Genes Family Tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alison

Alison Report 7 Apr 2010 23:37

Evening all

Does anyone know whether you can print off part of your family tree from Genes?

I have a relative in America who I would like to send what I have found for this part of the family.

I have a big family tree and don't want to waste another tree printing it all out for the sake of a few sheets.

If anyone could give me any hints, it would be appreciated.

Thanking you in advance
Alison x

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 Apr 2010 06:27

The printing facilities on GR are fairly basic and appear to be limited to printing either the entire tree or individual pages.

If you go to your tree you need to select the 'full tree'. You can do this by selecting the 'full tree' view at the top of the page. Click on 'print' to see the print menu. Full instructions are given on how to print out your tree here. You can print the entire tree. You can print a single page too depending on the size of your tree.

In order to print off particular branches of your tree, you really need to use a commercial program such as FTM (Family Tree Maker) which has several customisable charts and reports to choose from. These can be saved as PDF or Text files, ideal for emailing to relatives.

Neil

Neil Report 8 Apr 2010 21:22

Another option which I have not seen mentioned recently for printing parts of a GR tree, is to highlight an individual on the full tree, then click on 'Ancestors' or 'Descendants'. Either of these will show the direct line leading to or from the selected individual, but will not include siblings or children . You can then print off a copy of this shortened tree by the same method you would use for a full tree.
This often gives enough information for others who are not really interested in genealogy, but curious about immediate family.

Alison

Alison Report 9 Apr 2010 01:23

Apologies for delay in replying, I've been out all day and have just got back in, but very many thanks to InspectorGreenPen and Neil for your advice. I will try both ways out and see which one works best for what I need.

Its always good to learn different things.

Thanks Again
Alison x

Hollyd

Hollyd Report 11 Apr 2010 10:29

Thanks from me too. I've now managed to print a readable tree!!!

Hollyd