Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help; Ancestry web site problem

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 9 Apr 2010 21:50

I have not been on ancestry web site for a couple of months and tried to log on today, all i get is page cannot be displayed, tried from main pc and on laptop, tried all the normal maintenance things even system restore but nothing works, i am on windows xp and i use Internet explorer 8, i think it may have something to do with one of the updates from Microsoft, has anyone had this problem and does anyone no the solution , and finaly i have tried google.

thank Roy

Netty

Netty Report 9 Apr 2010 22:34

Hi Roy, will this help at all

Why am I told that The page cannot be displayed when I try to log in to Ancestry?

http://tinyurl.com/ya9tray

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 9 Apr 2010 23:26

Netty, thanks for the link, tried it and it is doing the same thing, i noted that after i pasted the link into the address bar and hit the enter key, the link was trying to take me to Ancestry customer help page? thats part of the problem, i cannot get into any part of ancestry web site not even through the .com site.

thanks anyway for your input

Roy

Tudor

Tudor Report 10 Apr 2010 01:39

Is the site, perhaps, undergoing maintenance ?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 10 Apr 2010 06:28

I have just looked at the help page and it would appear that the problem is caused by the security settings / software on your PC

"Ancestry provides a standard secure login which uses encryption. Users with firewalls or other security programs may be unable to access the secure pages needed for the encrypted login. For this reason, they may encounter a server error when using this login option (such as The page cannot be displayed). To accommodate these users who are unable to use the secure login, Ancestry also provides a login option without encryption.

If you are able to use the standard secure login, we suggest that you do that. If you experience the error described above, however, you will want to use our login screen which does not require encryption. Please follow these steps to log in without encryption:

1. Click the Login button in the upper right corner of most pages on Ancestry

Note: Do not fill in your username or password; click the Login button with the other fields left blank.

2. In the middle of the login area, click the link in the text "Switch to standard login"

3. After the padlock next to the Customer Login ( ) heading disappears, the text should
change to read instead, "Switch to secure login"

4. When ready, click the Login button"

Sounds like a bit of a chicken and egg situation here as if you can't access Ancestry at all you can't use the alternative log in.

I have just checked an can log in without difficulty using both IE8 and Firefox - both with the latest updates - so It must be something else causing your problems. I also use Microsoft Security Essentials as my main defence against nasties.

Have you recently changed or updated any of your security programs? Which ones are you using? Do you have a firewall installed? It is just possible that another member with a similar set-up as yours can advise.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 10 Apr 2010 17:17

Tudor, Thanks but its not ancestry doing maintenance.

thanks again

Roy

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 10 Apr 2010 17:24

InspectorGreenPen, thanks for the info but it will not let me get (Any page) from ancestry so i cannot even attempt to log in, even if i manually enter any ancestry web address into the address bar, or use any link to the web site from google or my favorites,

I think i may have to ring my isp or ancestry

Thanks again

Roy