Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Step Families

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 10 Apr 2010 14:35

On my family tree i have a Thomas Jackson born Dublin 1884
his father died when he was 3 and the family moved to Wolverhampton & on the 1901 census Thomas is listed as Thomas Lewis as his mother had wed my gt grandfather John Lewis.
I cant find Thomas after the 1901 census at all so im trying to trace a marriage for him & im hoping he wed in Wolverhampton before he moved back to Dublin if that is where he is. I cant find a death for him at all! Question is would his marriage be under the name of Lewis & would his father be listed as John Lewis or Henry Jackson?? Does any one know how this would work? Would he have been allowed to Have Thomas Lewis on his marriage certificate? Thanks Sharon x

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 10 Apr 2010 14:38

He could have called himself whatever he liked unfortunately, though if brought up as Lewis most likely to have used that name I would think.
Have you found the rest of the family 1911? If you give mother's name and YOB it might be possible to find them.
Jan

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 10 Apr 2010 14:59

Have found the rest of family no problem in 1911 census. I managed to contact my grandfathers Neice & she said her mother Anastacia Lewis who was 9 in 1911 (the family were living at 43 Herber st Wolverhampton then) had never mentioned a half brother named Thomas? As i said i cant find a death record for him. I have found a marriage for a Thomas Lewis Sept Q 1907 was thinking of taking a chance an ordering it as the local record offices usually check 2 years either side of date you give if they cant find it dont they?? If i can find a wife and she was born Wolverhampton i stand more chance of tracking him in irish 1911 census dont i??

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Apr 2010 15:11

Did Thomas have a middle name?.... Just wondered why you chose that particular marriage. There seem to be several marriages of Thomas LEWIS around that time in Wolverhampton.

I recently bought a birth and marriage certificate for someone on my tree, born 1882. This girl was registered then grew up and was in census with a completely diiferent name, but reverted to her birth name to marry.

Gwyn

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 10 Apr 2010 15:22

I find most of them that I have researched use their stepfather's name but when they marry they use their legal birth name.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 10 Apr 2010 17:20

Very long shot an d impossible to prove, unless he just happened to have the same occupation in 1901 (not sure where this Thomas is - there are loads of residents):

HARRIS, William Inmate Single M 62 1849 Boilermaker's Driller London Marylebone VIEW
HALL, George Inmate Single M 62 1849 Butler Bucks Eton VIEW
HAGGER, William Inmate Single M 49 1862 Wood Block Floor Layer London Hoxton VIEW
HUDSON, John Inmate Single M 52 1859 Sculleryman Yorks Tandall VIEW
IRVING, John David Inmate Single M 30 1881 Chef North Newcastle on Tyne VIEW
JOHNSON, William Inmate Single M 46 1865 Coal Merchants Carman Notts New Radford VIEW
JACKSON, Thomas Inmate Single M 26 1885 Groom Ireland Dublin Res VIEW

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 10 Apr 2010 18:43

I chose that one as i thought if they searched and it wasnt correct they would do a search so many years either side 1901 (is it 2 or 1 year either side) and there are Thomas Lewis' in 1904, 1906, 1908 & 1909 in Wolverhampton who wed then. Thomas Lewis i am searching for had no middle name.

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 10 Apr 2010 19:07

You know Brummie Jan this could be the Thomas im looking for. There is no other Thomas Lewis in England born Dublin with year of birth 1884 plus or minus a couple of years and the only Thomas Jackson with no middle name born Dublin in England is him.
Question is what is this place in Southwark was it? Is it a workhouse or a prison??

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Apr 2010 19:26

I think it's likely to be a workhouse. I bought the transcript for the page but it's just one page out of 5 and I don't have enough credits to get all five. I think a workhouse is the most likely but I suppose it could be a hospital or a prison.

Kath. x

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 10 Apr 2010 20:09

The cover of the 1911 census doesn't say what the place is, but it is described as a Household rather than an Institution.

There are 30 Inmates and not a sign of a Master or Warden. Odd.

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 10 Apr 2010 20:17

It does seem a bit strange doesnt it??

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 10 Apr 2010 20:35

Sharon, got your PM asking:

"The info you found re Thomas Jackson was it a a search on 1911 census Wolverhampton area or London?"

Not sure what you mean. The 1911 covers all England and Wales. Just specified name and birth year +/- 2 years, and birthplace Scotland. There was no Thomas Lewis who matched.

Regards

Jan

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 10 Apr 2010 21:19

Yes sorry after i messaged you i searched and payed and relaised it was Southwark! Thanks for your help, i think there is a good chance its him!

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 10 Apr 2010 22:34

Well, you never know! I wonder if someone with higher Ancestry membership than me could look at parish record?

Marriages Dec 1912 (>99%)
JACKSON Thomas Murphy Southwark 1d 51
Murphy Henrietta M Jackson Southwark 1d 51

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 10 Apr 2010 22:47

Oh dear - I apologise - left Southwark off the 1911 details didn't I! Oops.
jan

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Apr 2010 22:47

Name: Henrietta Maud Murphy
Estimated birth year: abt 1892
Spouse Name: Thomas Jackson
Spouse Age: 21
Record Type: Marriage
Event Date: 8 Dec 1912
Parish: St Mary, Newington
County: Middlesex
Borough: Southwark
Father Name: Richard Murphy
Spouse Father Name: Thomas George Jackson

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 10 Apr 2010 22:52

Not him then! Never mind.
Jan

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 11 Apr 2010 15:36

Thats a shame thanks for looking, hoping something will come up somewhere, he cant have just vanished completely!!