Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Surname query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lesley

Lesley Report 10 Apr 2010 18:49

On receiving the wedding certificate of my husbands grandfather his father was shown as Beevers although on the birth certificate it was Nixon.
The greatgrandfathers birth certificate was Beevers with mothers name as Nixon but the marriage certificate was Nixon..
On 1901 census the family are all recorded as Beevers. Is it common place that two surnames can be used on certificates? How accurate are census, I am totally confused as to what we should be called and what name I should be placing on my tree. The family have been called Nixon since 1911 If you are able to follow the above rambling I would appreciate your view.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Apr 2010 19:02

It sounds to me as if somewhere along the line one of the children was born before their parent's marriage and was called one name on the birth certificate but was actually known by the father's (or step-father's) name. They then decided to use the birth name when they married. It happens quite a bit and people sometimes change their surname for no particular reason. I just use whatever name is on the birth certificate and mention the other name in notes.

Kath. x