Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

lovatt in london again

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Valerie

Valerie Report 10 Apr 2010 19:23

sorry folks all the information you gave has been extremely useful. But was talking about john lovatt that had been married to or just had child with mary elizabeth maddern. the child was born in 1884 in london cant find birth or their marriage, any more ideas. and do know about the birth for st saviours 1884 2nd 1/4 1d 7. but gro cant find it and really dont know if there anymore.

Astra

Astra Report 10 Apr 2010 19:55

What was the childs name please??
Just seen your other thread. According to that Elizabeth Maddern was 76 in 1891 so I don't understand how she could have had a child in 1884. Are you sure the information you have is correct?

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 10 Apr 2010 20:00

It seems there must be another thread about this family. Would it not be better to add a post to that thread rather than starting this new one, so we can all see what has already been researched?

Otherwise we may be duplicating effort.

Valerie

Valerie Report 10 Apr 2010 22:54

this elizabeth maddern was mary elizabeth madderns mother. this was her grandson that was living with her by the time he was 7. this is why i cant understand in a short time mary elizabeth was in london and had child and that child ended up back in cornwall.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 10 Apr 2010 23:30

I don't understand a word of this.

John Lovatt had a child with Mary Elizabeth Maddern, the child being born Q2 1884 in London, St Saviours, ref 1d/7. You are saying the GRO can't find this birth?

This child (no name given) was the grandson of Elizabeth Maddern who was born 1815. Her daughter was Mary Elizabeth Maddern, the mother of "the child".

Where does Cornwall come in?

Can somebody please direct me to the other thread on this/

Christina(Lancashire)

Christina(Lancashire) Report 11 Apr 2010 08:18

Valerie's other thread on this family......

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1215702

Valerie

Valerie Report 11 Apr 2010 09:47

the cornwall side comes from the madderns mary elizabeth whos mother was elizabeth maddern was born in cornwall and travelled to london what for dont know she then met a john lovatt and they had a child named john stanley lovatt the latter was back in cornwall by the age of 7???? other than that cant find records of birth marriage etc.

Thelma

Thelma Report 11 Apr 2010 10:33

The GRO only search with the information that you provide.
So if you gave incorrect details than they will not be able to produce a certificate.
There is no S at the end of St Saviour

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 11 Apr 2010 16:07

Thanks, Christine for the thread.

It was suggested on there that John Stanley was the child of Constance Maddern, but there is nothing to suggest that the 3 grandchildren with the Maddern grandparent in 1901 all belong to the same daughter, especially as John Stanley is a Lovatt born London. I think it's safe to say he's likely the son of Mary Elizabeth who was unmarried but gave him the father's surname.

SatNav, if Valerie put "St Saviours" on her application, surely the wonderful people at the GRO would twig it shouldn't have the "s"? Or am I naive? I checked the reference on FMP and it is correct. Otherwise, Valerie, you could try the local records office of St Saviour, where you won't need a reference at all.

Possible marriage of Mary Elizabeth Maddern:

Marriages Sep 1885 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buddle William Henry Truro 5c 203
Maddern Mary Elizabeth Truro 5c 203

1901 England Census
about Elizabeth Buddle
Name: Elizabeth Buddle
Estimated birth year: abt 1858
Relation: Wife
Spouse's name: William Henry
Where born: Perran, Cornwall, England

Civil parish: Philleigh
Ecclesiastical parish: Philleigh
Town: Churchtown
County/Island: Cornwall

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Truro
Sub-registration district: St Just
ED, institution, or vessel: 6
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 44
Household Members: Name Age
William Henry Buddle 38
Elizabeth Buddle 43
Ada Symmouds Buddle 15
James Henry Buddle 9
Margherita Buddle 8
William Norman Buddle 5

A tree on Ancestry has Wm Henry marrying Mary Elizabeth Maddern, and these children.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 11 Apr 2010 16:10

1891 England Census
about Ada S Burelle
Name: Ada S Burelle
Estimated birth year: abt 1886
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: William
Mother's Name: Mary E J
Where born: Philleigh, Cornwall, England

Civil parish: Philleigh
County/Island: Cornwall

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Truro
Sub-registration district: St Just
ED, institution, or vessel: 6
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
William Burelle 28
Mary E J Burelle 32
Ada S Burelle 5
Ethel G Burelle 3
James Taylor 21

The original says Buddle - the enumerator has very flowery handwriting.

Valerie

Valerie Report 11 Apr 2010 17:50

this seems to be the case that john stanley lovatt was maybe given his fathers name by his unwed mother but why wouldnt i not be able to find any birth record for him as thought it was required by then and would he have had to show something to be married or not

Valerie

Valerie Report 11 Apr 2010 17:53

this seem to be very plausable as i also never heard about mary elizabeth through the family so maybe went away and did not keep contact

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 11 Apr 2010 18:08

Have you ordered the birth certificate for

Lovatt Stanley St. Saviour 1d 7

and If so why are you saying that the GRO can't find it? What did you put on the request?

Valerie

Valerie Report 11 Apr 2010 18:39

i put exactly what you have put there and 1884 2nd 1/4. I have spoken to them and have put in a complaint which they asked me to do. Now will have reply it says within 10 working days, so will see if it is the correct person.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 11 Apr 2010 21:34

Oh dear, Valerie, I am still waiting for a reply to a complaint I made 2 months ago. I'd be tempted to ring them up. I have occasionally done so, and they've been very helpful.

Valerie

Valerie Report 11 Apr 2010 21:54

ok will do thank you