Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Google not helping on this one

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Beverley

Beverley Report 11 Apr 2010 08:31

Hi everyone

Does anyone know what a Jungle ball is. My rellie was 'grazed on the body' by one in India in approx 1800. If I google Jungle ball I just get a load of computer games and toys (a strange concept when you put them together).

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 11 Apr 2010 08:37

This sounds very peculiar! Just to double-check, is there any way it says something else? What are you looking at exactly?
Jan

Beverley

Beverley Report 11 Apr 2010 08:42

Hi Brummiejan

This is a part of a notice of my rellie's death. He was a Captain in the British Army in India around 1800. I thought it was some sort of weapon but I have no real idea.

'He was employed in the campaign and took part at the storming of Sarsnee, at Buckugghur; at Cutchawarrah, in 1802 and 1803, and at the latter he received a graze on the body by a jungle ball.'

Beverley

Beverley Report 11 Apr 2010 08:51

I should have said that this didn't kill him. He died much later. My OH thought of the spikey things (I don't know what they are called) that the Vietcong used during the Vietnam war but that seems unlikely to me.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 11 Apr 2010 08:54

I would imagine it was something like a musket ball?

Beverley

Beverley Report 11 Apr 2010 08:58

I've found it Brummiejan.

It is a type of snake. I suppose that makes sense.

Thanks for trying
Beverley

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 11 Apr 2010 09:02

Hi Beverley.

Jungle Ball
A style of basketball where there is not a set of specific rules. Teams consist of 5 players like any typical basketball game, but unlike a regulation basketball game, players generally have a "me first" attitude, rarely passing the ball to even sometimes wide open teammates. Fouls committed against other players usually don't matter, the game continues on as if nothing happened.

Since there are no rules to follow, the game can sometimes look erratic, and maybe even dangerous

India: Looking at the new remembering the old

The game was a chaotic display of jungle ball where tempers raged and blood ... it was interesting to see the way the Western conception of basketball had been transplanted in the Indian psyche. Some guys wore shorts that went down to their ankles, while others should have received technical fouls for the things they were wearing. Kids were hopelessly mismatched against each other, with the bigger and stronger handily exploiting the younger and smaller. By the time Raj's game came along, I was expecting a messy competition-and that is what I got.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 11 Apr 2010 09:04

A snake indeed! Well, you learn all sorts on this site don't you!!
Jan

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 11 Apr 2010 09:09

It's actually "jungle-ball".

I'm thinking it's a shot fired by the enemy who are concealed in the jungle.

Rose

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 11 Apr 2010 09:11

It's all in the way you "Google"....lol

India+jungle ball ( no spacing )

I wonder if my grandmother played?

She was born in Ajmere 1875 ( Ultra Pradesh )

Tony..;>)) * who loves a nice curry*

Beverley

Beverley Report 11 Apr 2010 09:12

That would also make sense Rose. But so does a snake. So, I wonder which was the one that injured him? I can't imagine the basket-ball theory although that's possible too I suppose.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 11 Apr 2010 09:12

I don't think it's a snake. A python wouldn't "graze" you, it would strangle you.

Rose

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 11 Apr 2010 09:13

I think a musket ball more likely but a snake more interesting - so I'd go with that one!

Beverley

Beverley Report 11 Apr 2010 09:13

I love a nice curry too Tony. I found the basketball type game but assumed a Captain wouldn't actually get involved (???). I'm sure it would be more for the soldiers and locals.

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 11 Apr 2010 09:24

Yea'h....could be a musket ball.?

Never heard of a game "Jungle Ball" myself.

It was just strange that when "googled" it came up as a game in India.

Tony...:>))