Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

life in service 1900s help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 11 Apr 2010 16:58

Hi there,
Can anyone tell me if they have anyone who was in service as a young woman. I need it to be uncopyrited so that i can use this information in a book i am writng. Can't find anything online or at the library. So i need someone who is old enough, and female. Can anyone tell me, or help me.
Thanks

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 11 Apr 2010 17:13

Wish you had posted this a couple of years ago, my mother died in 2008 just before she was 99, and could have helped you.
Do you have any residential homes near you, perhaps if you ring the person in charge, they may be willing to ask an elderly resident if they could give you some information.
Liz

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 11 Apr 2010 18:48

hi there,
thanks for that. Yes we do and i had thought of that, but the trouble is that we are a fishing port and i suppect that many people worked on the docks. Unless i can find someone who is not from round here then i am a little stuck. If anyone has any ideas that would be great
Thanks though LIz

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 12 Apr 2010 00:41

There would have had to be a Overseer/manager in charge of the docks and he could have had a big house with servants.Google The place where you live for Big Houses/mansions.

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 12 Apr 2010 07:39

What time range are you wanting? 1880-1900, 1900-1920, 1920-1940? earlier? later?

Ozi

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Apr 2010 08:16

Hi Allison,
Surely anyone in service will do?
My late gran (born 1904) was born & brought up in Southampton (a dock town). Her dad was a ship's steward, her future husband actually worked in the docks.
Gran went into service aged 14 - I'm not sure where, but by the age of 20 was in service in a big house in a hamlet near Petersfield - many miles away from the docks!
When she met my grandad, she very easily got a job as a cook in Winchester, which made it easier for her to visit him.

My g gran was born in Suffolk - her family never moved from the county. In the 1901 census, aged 22, she was in service in Hampshire!

BTW - you didn't need to be particularly rich to have a servant !

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 12 Apr 2010 12:20

This may interest you??

http://www.missing-ancestors.com/CENSUS%20FOR%20servants_home%20Hampstead%20%201871%20Page%201.htm

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 13 Apr 2010 21:05

hi there,
thank you for your kind replies. I will have a look at all of them. I was looking from about 1900 up to 1920s. I know that the copyright stufff is really complicated, as i have looked into it as i needed to find out for my book im writing,and have nearly finished at last yippee.
thanks again everyone. It was good of you to reply, thanks