Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Viewing a document

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lee

Lee Report 12 Apr 2010 13:29

When I used to view a document, it was in a PDF format. It has now converted to JPG.
How can I revert it back to PDF?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 12 Apr 2010 18:44

Can you provide a bit more info as to the document you are talking about. A pdf does not convert to a jpg unless you cause it to.

Lee

Lee Report 12 Apr 2010 19:04

I’m not sure. I think the kids may have changed a setting somehow and now a copy of a census page opens as a JPG instead of PDF

Lee

mgnv

mgnv Report 12 Apr 2010 20:36

Which census did it happen on?

I note that the 1881 & 1891 Canadian censuses at LAC give you side by side buttons for pdf jpg views - maybe you just clicked the wrong button

Lee

Lee Report 13 Apr 2010 08:11

I am looking at the uk census from 1851 to 1901 and they all open as a JPG. I am sure it is a setting problem and nothing to do with GU.

Lee

mgnv

mgnv Report 13 Apr 2010 08:47

Well, the UK census normally comes in different formats depending on the country of origin. Scotland normally comes as a .tif, England and Wales from Ancestry come as a .jpg, and only Ireland comes as a .pdf, but since you excluded 1911, I presume you're excluding Ireland.

Lee

Lee Report 13 Apr 2010 09:18

That's correct. I am only looking at the England census. Ths was not happening a month ago

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 13 Apr 2010 09:36

I presume you are looking at them on this site and not as saved ones on your computer.

If so and they were previously a PDF document then GR must have changed the format.

I have no idea what format they are on here as I use Ancestry.

Christine

Lee

Lee Report 13 Apr 2010 10:32

I am opening the documents through this site and not the PC.

I will ask GR for conformation

Lee

Lee Report 13 Apr 2010 15:42

All

As I suspected

GR says " we have recently changed our record supplier so you no longer need a PDF viewer in order to view records.
Census records, BMD’s and military records will now show original images in jpeg format instead of pdf"