Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

i found out lot off my relatives lied about there

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kevin

Kevin Report 13 Apr 2010 11:48

a year either way on birth dates makes searching harder

Thelma

Thelma Report 13 Apr 2010 11:50

I doubt they lied.
They did not have the benefit of our education.

Rambling

Rambling Report 13 Apr 2010 12:25

and do not rely solely on the transcriptions, always look at the image itself, and be aware that census takers rounded up (or down can't remember off hand lol) on some of the census.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 13 Apr 2010 12:41

1841 was supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years for adults, but many have the actual age recorded. Later censuses were supposed to record the actual age.

When estimating the year of birth from the census I always go down a year. As Jonesey points out given that the census date is usually around the end of March the odds are 9/12 for 1899 but only 3/12 for 1900, in his example.

Deliberate lies did occur, a common one was where the bride was older than the groom. We have an example of this with my wife's great grandparents, where there are variations on every single census. Some members have examples where age has been up to ten years out.

Also remember a lot of ages are mistranscribed. Always look at the page, especially if one census appears to be out of line.

Wherever possible try to find the earliest census for someone as this can often be the most accurate.

RobG

RobG Report 13 Apr 2010 15:09

In addition to all the other reasons mentioned, they may have said they were older than their real age to be able to get married and felt they had to stick to that for all official documents.
Alternatively, they may say they are younger than they were because that is what their parents told them to account for being born before marriage.
Many reasons. As has been said - use given ages as a guide and allow leeway until you have proof.

Kevin

Kevin Report 13 Apr 2010 21:57

thanks for your help guys