Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hair pullin time !!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 13 Apr 2010 15:29

My 2xgreatgrandfather came from Germany/Russia/Denmark according to which family member was telling the story.

One census states he was from Germany.

Another census says from Middlesborough, but then the enumerator could have thought that is what he said as he possibly had an accent.

BUT...the 1911 census...He was living with his daughter and son-in-law, and the son-in-law completed the census form and put that his father-in-law was born in ....Middlesborough.

Off to buy a wig !!

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 13 Apr 2010 15:35

Barry, I am a gorgeous shade of platinum.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Apr 2010 15:37

well let's have some details and we'll see if we can help!!

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 13 Apr 2010 15:58

Hi Ann,

According to the family story, Charles Moss started life as Karl Mosskavitch (my phonetic spelling). He was born in about 1835 in German/Russia/Denmark and came from a sea fareing family.

He married Elizabeth Delay on 25.11.1861 in Stepney. His father is named as John Moss a mariner.

They had 11 children that I have found.

In the 1881 census his place of birth is recorded as Germany. and they are living in West Ham

In the 1891 census his place of birth is Middlesborough and they are still in West Ham

1911 his son-in-law gives his birth place as Middlesborough and they are still in West Ham living in Russell Road.

A tin of polish and a bottle of paracetamol is on order !!!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Apr 2010 16:30

not getting anywhere - tried various spellings of Moskavitch - zilch

pass the paracetamol please

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Apr 2010 16:51

found this one - 1881

Alfred MOSS Head M Male 54 West Ham, Essex, England Stationer
Charles Henry MOSS Son U Male 17 West Ham Shop Assistant (Stationer)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling 52 Broadway
Census Place West Ham, Essex, England
Family History Library Film 1341407
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 1704 / 72A
Page Number 18

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 13 Apr 2010 17:36

Just a thought ...
... there is a place in Germany which is MITTELBERG, and I'm wondering if the enumerator has mistaken (considering German accent and all) this for Middlesborough.

I have a German in the family, he appears as all sorts of names on the various census forms, and his birth place changes from Germany to Guernsey!!

K

P.S. Thinking about it, the name Moskavitch doesn't sound too Danish. More like Eastern European/Russian. I'd go with that .

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 14 Apr 2010 11:20

Late reply to Ann and Karen, many thanks for your thoughts on my problem.

I have knocked down quite a few brick ways during my researching and I am sure/hope this one will eventually fall.

Thanks again.

Kathlyn