Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Changing first names - ideas on recording?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 14 Apr 2010 01:50

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has had a similiar situation and can advise how best to record this person.

I have a relative born in 1888 in Glasgow Scotland. When he was born he was registered with the Christian name of Robert.

Two months after the register of birth there is a corrected entry record to the Christian name which reads as follows: for "Robert" substitute James Wilson. The above alteration is made on the authority of a Certificate in the form of Schedule (D) under the hand of the Reverend Alex Murchison, Minister of Maitland Street, Free Church".

Now I can't guess why they changed his first name, could be a multitude of reasons (his parents were married so it was nothing to do with that I guess) but I am unsure how I should record him on GR, with his birth anme of Robert or his amended name of James Wilson.

Any ideas out there?

GranOfOzRubySlippers

GranOfOzRubySlippers Report 14 Apr 2010 05:39

I also record the name as "Also Know As", depending on what software you use, some software have it as an option to record the name this way.

I have some convict ancestors that have changed their name or had a alias so record them in the same way.

If it is not an option in you software, then record it in your Notes section.

Gail

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 14 Apr 2010 08:48

Given that the name change was an offical re-registration during infancy, I'd put the James Wilson in the name box and put "Originally registered as Robert, name re-registered on xxxx" in the notes section.

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 14 Apr 2010 09:48

Thanks for your suggestions

mgnv

mgnv Report 14 Apr 2010 16:39

I would definitely go along with Kathryn. Supposing the parents hadn't come up with a name within the first 21 days - they'ld still have to rego the birth, and it would appear as "unnamed male" Brown or whatever. You'ld hardly go entering that initial rego in your tree, eh.

English b.certs even have a special column to cover your situation.
For an example of an English b.cert, see:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_186584.pdf