Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Question about "Relation to the head of family" en

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kevin

Kevin Report 14 Apr 2010 09:27

Fairly new to this, I believe I've found my great grandfather living as a boarder in 1891, and a visitor in 190.

Boarder I get, but the obvious definition of visitor would seem not to warrant entry.

Does anyone know if there's a proper definition in regards to a census entry?

Angela

Angela Report 14 Apr 2010 12:07

But be aware that people who were actually family members were sometimes recorded as 'visitor' or even 'boarder'. I've seen brothers, sisters and in laws recorded like that.

Angela

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 14 Apr 2010 12:24

Yes, I have come across that many times. Usual situation is that a relative is away from their normal place of abode, so sister staying overnight with her brother's family is recorded as visitor.

I have also seen visitor, boarder and lodger interchanged across different censuses, especially where the families are related.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Apr 2010 13:02

On census returns the term "son-in-law" or "daughter-in-law" often meant what we would class as "step-son" or "step-daughter" these days. So if the term son-in-law is shown next to a child when it's obvious that the child is too young to be married then step-son is the most likely explanation.

Kath. x