Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Two Arthur Kelletts?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maurice

Maurice Report 14 Apr 2010 10:34

Is it possible some kind person can help me with this query.
On the 1861 census off find my past there is an Arthur Kellett as a grandson born 1858 in Coniston Cumberland living with grandparents James Kellett and Martha.

On the free census 1861 there is an Arthur Kellett age 3 born Coniston Cumberland living with his parents James and Elizabeth.
I have a birth certificate for Arthur born 14.Nov.1857 in Coniston parents James Kellett a sawyer mother Elizabeth Jackson,the bpt is also on Lancashire OPC.
Arthurs marriage certificate says his father is James Kellett a sawyer journeyman.
My query is are there two Arthur Kelletts and do i have the wrong birth certificate.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thank you Maurice.

Barbara

Barbara Report 14 Apr 2010 10:41

In the 1871 census he is at home with James and Elizabeth. Do you know if the James and Martha are the parents of James jnr - And do the siblings on the census tie in?

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 14 Apr 2010 10:41

Hi Maurice they are both there on Ancestry, It could be that it is the same child recorded twice, I have seen this before.
i.e. his parents recorded him but he was actually with grand parents.

You need to establish if James and Martha Kellett the grandparents are the parents of James Kellett the father of Arthur by looking at earlier census returns or getting the marriage cert of James and Elizabeth

Barbara

Barbara Report 14 Apr 2010 10:43

Another thought is that he was actually staying with grandparents the night and the parents just put him down as part of the household without thinking. In my line I also have my ggrandad staying with grandparents but also registered as being as home with parents.

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 14 Apr 2010 10:45

Name: James Kellet
Estimated birth year: abt 1803
Relation: Head
Spouse's name: Martha
Where born: Colton, Lancashire, England

Civil parish: Satterthwaite
County/Island: Lancashire

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability: View image

Registration district: Ulverstone
Sub-registration district: Dalton
ED, institution, or vessel: 5
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 63
Household Members: Name Age
James Kellet 48
Martha Kellet 52
James Kellet 21
Arthur Kellet 13

I would say it was just a mistake and he was recorded twice as this looks like his father in 1851.

I once had the same person recorded twice in the same street, once with his wife and once with his parents. The enumerator would only write down what they were told

Maurice

Maurice Report 14 Apr 2010 10:46

Thank you for your replies Barbara and Belle,
I will have to have a qick ceck to see if i have the marriage certificate for Jame And Elizabeth.
Best wishes Maurice.

Maurice

Maurice Report 14 Apr 2010 10:53

Hi again and thank you for all your replies, you are all a bit too quick for me.

The marriage certificate for James and Elizabeth says James father was also called James Kellett occupation at the time was a Waller.
The James Kellett 1803 is i believe his father.
It was the find my past census i was using for reference when i came across the free one which confused me.
Thank you again for your replies .
Best wishes Maurice.

Maurice

Maurice Report 14 Apr 2010 10:59

Hi thank you Jonesy,
no i have yet to find another Arthur Kellett 1858 born in Coniston yet,but i will have another look.
Thank you everone for your replies they have been most helpfull.
Best wishes Maurice.